a
t
i
r
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
At the conclusion of genetic testing, a patient learns that he has a predisposition for developing cardiovascular disease at a young age. Which of the following can the nurse instruct the patient regarding this information?
1. “This information can help guide you to make lifestyle changes to reduce the chance of developing cardiovascular disease.”
2. “At least you know now that you will need cardiac bypass surgery.”
3. “Since you will most likely develop the disease early in life, enjoy your life as much as possible now.”
4. “I would not place too much emphasis on these test results since most of the time they are inconclusive.”
Read 812 times
1 Reply
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
1 -- One benefit of genetic testing is to provide for preventive measures and lifestyle adaptations. The nurse should instruct the patient on how this information can serve as a guide to make lifestyle changes to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. The nurse has no way of knowing if the patient is going to need cardiac bypass surgery. The nurse should not encourage the patient to enjoy life as much as possible now since this might lead to high risk behaviors. The nurse should also not minimize the importance of the genetic testing results.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1224 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?