b
c
R
c
Leona Ariane Leona Ariane
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Let's suppose a space elevator is built along with a space station on one end. It's tethered to and rotates with the Earth, but is outside the Earth's atmosphere. What's the gravity gonna be like on this space station?
(Yes i could research it on my own, but it's more fun to hear it from someone who knows and wants to talk about it. Feel free to go into more depth about theoretical possibilities that don't necessarily fall directly under the stipulations of this question.)
Read 355 times
4 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The tether is immaterial, gravity would be the same as for any other space station in the same geostationary orbit. Anyone on the station would feel weightless as they would be accelerating toward the Earth at the same rate as the station around them.
wrote...
11 years ago
wouldn't it knock out space stations and things like that as earth goes around in orbit?
I had a similar idea... It was shot down...
wrote...
11 years ago
Well the space station won't be that close to the Earth. It is very very carefully placed in geostatic orbit.
It is not too far, where the Earth's gravity couldnt hold on, and it would drift out into space.
It is also not too close, where Earth's gravity would pull it back into the atmosphere, where it would procede to smash into the Earth (obviously that is bad).

As far as the space elevator, that is nearly impossible (but then again, they've made some crazy stuff before).
The space station wouldnt necessarily orbit the earth at the same frequency that the earth was rotating. You could see how this could be a problem.
If they were out of sync, the elevator would physically pull the station towards the earth, and that would cause the problem stated above.
Answer accepted by topic starter
tonio613tonio613
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 420 words.