a
t
i
r
Jessc Jessc
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
7 years ago
1. Assume you have a solution containing two volatile liquids. Given the data for liquid A: MM = 56.89 g/mole, partial pressure = 0.903 atm and for liquid B: MM = 14.52 g/mole, partial pressure = 0.995 atm, what is the A:B ratio of the distillate?

2. Assume you recovered 0.291 mL of citral in this experiment. How many grams of lemon grass oil did you begin with if citral comprises 9.44% of the oil?

3. Assume the starting volume of lemon grass oil (density = 1.254 g/mL) you used was 2.87 mL and citral composed 23.1% of the lemon grass. How many grams of citral were present?
 Attached file(s) 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to these attachments.
Read 1839 times
12 Replies
Replies
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
1. Assume you have a solution containing two volatile liquids. Given the data for liquid A: MM = 56.89 g/mole, partial pressure = 0.903 atm and for liquid B: MM = 14.52 g/mole, partial pressure = 0.995 atm, what is the A:B ratio of the distillate?

8.21:1

2. Assume you recovered 0.291 mL of citral in this experiment. How many grams of lemon grass oil did you begin with if citral comprises 9.44% of the oil?

Citral it's a component of lemon grass oil. In this problem we have the following data:

Volume of citral recovered through extraction from lemon grass oil: 0.291 ml

Concentration of citral in lemon grass oil: 9.44 %

If we assume the concentration given in the problem is in terms of volume by mass, this means that for each 100 g of lemon grass oil there are 9.44 ml of citral. Taking into account this fact we can find the mass of lemon grass oil we begin with, calculated as follows:

{Attach 1}

3. Assume the starting volume of lemon grass oil (density = 1.254 g/mL) you used was 2.87 mL and citral composed 23.1% of the lemon grass. How many grams of citral were present?

{Attach 2}
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Jessc Author
wrote...
7 years ago
Thanks  Smiling Face with Open Mouth
wrote...
Educator
7 years ago
Please mark as solved.
wrote...
5 years ago
Thanks so much Slight Smile
wrote...
Educator
5 years ago
Welcome
BEH
wrote...
5 years ago
Thank you!
wrote...
4 years ago
Thank you
wrote...
4 years ago
Okay I stand somewhat corrected the attachment is vaguely related to the third question in the thread but your math is exceptionally sketchy
wrote...
Educator
4 years ago
Okay I stand somewhat corrected the attachment is vaguely related to the third question in the thread but your math is exceptionally sketchy

What's wrong with my solution?
wrote...
4 years ago
thank you
wrote...
3 years ago
eeboy
gja
wrote...
6 months ago
Thanks
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1395 People Browsing
Related Images