a
t
i
r
colleen colleen
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
The patient in the icteric phase of hepatitis asks the nurse, “Why are my stools no longer brown?” The nurse most correctly answers with which of the following?
1. “Your liver isn’t making any of the substance that makes stools brown.”
2. “The pigment is backing up into your blood and turning your skin yellow.”
3. “It is being released into your blood stream and turning your blood darker red.”
4. “The answer is not known. More research is needed regarding this question.”
Read 537 times
2 Replies
Sunshine ☀ ☼

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
11 years ago
1. The liver is inflamed thus, bile is not being synthesized → no brown color stool
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
2 -- Icteric (jaundiced) phase usually begins 5 to 10 days after the onset of symptoms. It is heralded by jaundice of the sclera, skin, and mucous membranes. Inflammation of the liver and bile ducts prevents bilirubin from being excreted into the small intestine. As a result, the serum bilirubin levels are elevated, causing yellowing of the skin and mucous membranes. The stools are light brown or clay colored because bile pigment is not excreted through the normal fecal pathway. Instead, the pigment is excreted by the kidneys, causing the urine to turn brown. The liver continues to make bilirubin, even during hepatitis. The blood is not turned darker with bilirubin levels are elevated. The cause of this phenomenon is known.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: Do you believe in global warming?