a
t
i
r
tony123 tony123
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Say I have some m x n matrix where each column is a vector and am given some random vectors. How do I decide which of those random vectors would be in the column space of this matrix? I understand that the column space of the matrix will be the span of the vectors in that matrix, but other than that I am lost. It would be nice if someone could tell me how you would do it with row space, too.
Read 219 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Let's say you have a matrix "A" that's m x n.  The "n" column vectors make up a vector space.  Now let's multiply this matrix by some n x 1 vector x = .  The resulting vector ("b") is a linear combination of the column vectors, specifically
b = Ax = x1*col1 + x2*col2 + ... + xn*coln

Now, if we have another vector, "z", and we want to know if it is in the column space of "A", we have to solve the system
z = Ax

for the vector "x"; if there is a solution, then we can write "z" as a linear combination of the columns of "A", and your random vector "z" is in the column space of "A".
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1317 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4