K
g
L
w
justinnguyen justinnguyen
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I am in Calc 2 and we are working on polar coodinate graphs and I can't seem to handle them. The question that I need help with is how to change the equation, r=4sec(theta)(1+ tan(theta)), into the cartesian equation. Thank you so much for your help!
Read 434 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
x = r cos (theta)

y = r sin (theta)

x = 4 sec (theta)(1+tan(theta)) cos (theta)
y = 4 sec(theta)(1+tan(theta)) sin(theta)

I'm going to use T instead fo "theta"

x = 4 sec(T)(1+tan(T)) cos (T)
x = 4 (1+tan(T))     since sec = 1/cos, and cos/cos = 1

y = 4 sec(T)(1+tan(T)) sin(T)
y = 4 (1+tan(T)) tan(T)     since sin/cos = tan
y = 4 (tan(T) + tan^2(T))
you might be able to simplify it a bit more since tan^2(T) + 1 = sec^2(T), but I think that just makes it messier.

I hope this helps (but double check its accuracy!).
wrote...
11 years ago
you change to polars with
r = sqrt( x^2 + y^2)
tan@ = y/x

you can switch back with
x = r cos@, y = rsin@

your equation is
r = (r/x)(1+y/x)
so x = 1+y/x
so y = x(x-1)
wrote...
11 years ago
Your desired equation is x^2 - 4 x - 4 y = 0, the equation of a parabola.  It can also be written:

4 y = (x - 2)^2 - 4.

From the defining relationships:

x = r cos(theta), and
y = r sin(theta)

one sees that sec(theta) = 1/cos(theta) = r/x, and tan(theta) = y/x.

Substituting those terms into your original equation, it becomes:

r = 4 (r/x) (1 + y/x) or x = 4 (1 + y/x), that is x^2 = 4 x + 4 y , or :

x^2 - 4 x - 4 y = 0, or 4 y = (x - 2)^2 - 4.  QED

This is actually the equation of a parabola with vertex (x, y) = (2, - 1), downwards, or in other words open to ( y Rightwards Arrow + infinity).

Live long and prosper.

LATER ADDITIONS:

1.)  I'm afraid that the first responder, who initially gave you a perfectly reasonable formal prescription, became hopelessly entangled when he edited some of his original answer out and tried instead to apply those formal principles to a relatively simple example.  

There's a moral here for all those voters who vote for a "described method" that is not actually applied to the problem in hand, rather than a properly executed result, as "Best Answer."  (However, I sadly doubt that such voters are capable of learning from this moral.)  

Where I was taught my mathematics, the ability to describe "method" counted for only 30-40%, while "execution" of an illustrative problem counted for the rest.  I've found it distressing in my teaching in an American university that students seem to believe that describing "method" alone should merit full credit.  Only very bad and/or indulgent teaching could have convinced them of the truth of this fallacy.

2.)  The second responder dropped the ' 4 ' in the original equation.  The resulting cartesian equation is therefore wrong by the consequences of dropping that factor.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  978 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 820

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?