s
a
t
i
r
irina irina
wrote...
11 years ago
The vertex I am using for the parabola opening to the right is (1,0) and two points that are in the parabola are (5,3) and (5,-3). I need the equation for a parabola opening to the left with a vertex of (-1,0) and two points in the parabola are (-5,3) and (5,3).

PLEASE HELP D:
Read 326 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
It is easy ya. Any parabola with vertex h,k and opening left ward will be (y--k)^2 = --4 a (x--h)
As the vertex is given as h = --1 and k = 0 we get the modified form as y^2 = -4a(x+1)
The two points on the parabola cannot be as given by you. Only the y coordinate will have + and --ve and more over the x co ordinate cannot be +ve as the vertex itself is at --1 on Xaxis.
Now as it passes through (-5,-3) and (-5,3) satisfying the equation, we get 9 = --4a*---4 So a = 9/16
So the equation of the parabola will be y^2 = --9/4(x+1)
Note: Here after give the valid details.
wrote...
11 years ago
The equation of a parabola that opens sideways is of the form:

ay² + by + c = x

Whether it opens left or right depends on whether a is positive or negative.

Plug in the three points (1, 0); (5, 3); and (5, -3).  You will have three equations in three unknowns.
0a + 0b + c = 1
9a + 3b + c = 5
9a - 3b + c = 5

Solving we get:
a = 4/9; b = 0; c = 1

And we have:

(4/9)y² + 1 = x
________

I see that D.W. answered correctly ahead of me.  And she is right.  The second parabola is impossible.
irina Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thx!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1227 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431