a
t
i
r
supermario supermario
wrote...
Rep: 6 6
13 years ago
Using marijuana in medicine is a highly controversial topic.

Marijuana is used in cancer patients and those with glaucoma. It has been used to help those with "wasting disease" which is great for those with cancer who develop decreased appetites.
The Canadian Senate also released a statement saying it should be legalized and possibly sold in retailers.
I read two articles on this topic.

I think that it should be legalized since scientists are saying the damage is not more than alcohol as well many people smoking it already although its illegal. I think with the legalization of marijuana those with a criminal record due to marijuana could recieve amnesty since I do not think that smoking marijuana is a criminal offense. I know the government is trying to decriminialize it yet possessing the drug can get you taken to jail today.

Article 1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/227926.stm

Article 2
http://archives.cbc.ca/politics/federal_politics/topics/652-3585/
Read 1228 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
13 years ago
Currently, there are more dangerous and addictive products legally available to youth than marijuana, so if someone really wants to be stupid and cause a lot of harm to him or herself they dont have to wait for it to be legalized.

Just to cover some other issues, legalizing marijuana could provide the government with extra tax revenue and remove funds from organized crime, assuming people would pay more money for a legal product. Regulation by the government could also reduce the risk of harmful compounds being present in what is sold.
B.Sc. (Biology)
wrote...
13 years ago
Well the use of marijuana is usually for the temporary relief from pain that cancer or disease ridden patients may be enduring. Of course this could be said the same about drugs administered by doctors, actually using marijuana would be more safe as it is pure organic compared to synthetically created drugs that the pharmaceutical companies are spewing out. A possible reason that the government can not legalize the use of marijuana is because it can not be in a controlled state, since any one can grow it and sell it. If the government can not control the flow of said product they make no money from it and thus it becomes a nuisance.
wrote...
13 years ago
Legalize it, or don't. The way I see it, if they legalize Marijuana, they wouldn't be able to control it.

For medical purposes, it is beneficial to patients who are suffering from a great deal of pain, however doctors should be and are probably are aware of the risks of addiction.

However, whether we want to realize it or not, the use of Cannabis has gone up over the years, along with alcohol consumption. As of right now, it is not legalized, but the use of it is more than it was over the last decade. More youngsters are resorting to that, why? Because it IS the easiest and most popular drug they can get their hands on. If it is legalized or not, young adult and teenagers and STILL going to go and get it. In some individuals it can be addicting, and then move onto stronger substances to get that "high" feeling - and that does happen, I have seen it first hand. There are LOTS of place to find a dealer and get it, especially in the tougher neighborhoods.
wrote...
Staff Member
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, bio_man
Interesting that you mention that Marijuana must be safer because its natural.

Point 1. All substances are made from the same fundamental elemental building blocks. Just because something is natural does not give it properties which allow it to be safer.

Point 2. The natural world contains many more toxic and dangerous substances then man has ever created.

Now in direct regards to marijuana... although I dont really care whether its legal or not, using the reletive reasoning of "its ok cause its less dangerous then alcohol and thats legal" is the same as saying, "Well since a tiny handgun is less likely to kill someone, its ok to have instead of a hunting shotgun". The idea of making any drug legal and available should only ever be decided on the merits and flaws of that drug alone.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
13 years ago
Legalize it, or don't. The way I see it, if they legalize Marijuana, they wouldn't be able to control it.

For medical purposes, it is beneficial to patients who are suffering from a great deal of pain, however doctors should be and are probably are aware of the risks of addiction.

However, whether we want to realize it or not, the use of Cannabis has gone up over the years, along with alcohol consumption. As of right now, it is not legalized, but the use of it is more than it was over the last decade. More youngsters are resorting to that, why? Because it IS the easiest and most popular drug they can get their hands on. If it is legalized or not, young adult and teenagers and STILL going to go and get it. In some individuals it can be addicting, and then move onto stronger substances to get that "high" feeling - and that does happen, I have seen it first hand. There are LOTS of place to find a dealer and get it, especially in the tougher neighborhoods.

I think the only problem with officially "legalizing" marijuana is that there would be a lack of control on the distribution and reproduction of marijuana which could lead to health issues.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1323 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?