f
j
b
c
|R2r| |R2r|
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I personally think that this is the wrong definition, rather, if not wrong, it implies wrong information. Velocity is displacement per unit time and speed is distance per unit time. So what this definition implies is that all distances have an implicit displacement, and what's more confusing, that they are of the same magnitude?Neutral Face?
Read 301 times
12 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You confuse me, so my answer is; quit overthinking it... On the other hand, speed has no direction, it is a numeric value that goes anywhere. It cannot be subtracted from itself, because it is only cumulative. velocity is displacement, like you said, but not distance. if I travel 360 around a circle, my displacement is 0 thus my velocity is 0. All distances have an implicit displacement on EARTH. because it is a sphere.
wrote...
11 years ago
Velocity is defined as a vector, and as such is speed and direction.
wrote...
11 years ago
Velocity and speed are totally different.
I will tell u one example: An object  moved towards east about 3miles and from there 4miles towards north. The total time for this journey is 1 hr.  what is the speed and velocity of the body?

Speed = distance / time = 3+4/1hr = 7 mi/hr
Velocit = dispacement / time =  (Sq.Root (3 X 3 + 4 X4 ) / 1hr
                    Sq.root(25)/1 hr = 5 mi/hr is velocity
So speed and velocity are different.
Is this clear?

Good luck!
wrote...
11 years ago
Velocity by definition is a vector so it has a dimension.
Rate of Change of Position of a body with respect to an observer (moving or stationary) is defined as Velocity.

If you want to call that change as speed or motion or movement it is your choice but read some definitions on Newton's first and second laws
wrote...
11 years ago
its quite correst that velocity is speed with direction...i agree that velocity is based on displacement n speed on distance...

but dear, if u think then u will find that displacement is just distance with direction...

therefore, indirectly, velocity is speed with direction...

hence, proved
wrote...
11 years ago
Velocity is the rate of change of position in a particular direction with respect to time.
Speed is the magnitude of the velocity vector.

Dont over think it.
wrote...
11 years ago
velcoity is change in displacement/time
wrote...
11 years ago
Speed is displacement over unit time without direction.
Velocity is displacement over unit time with direction.

5m/s North is velocity
5 m/s is Speed.

Don't mix up Displacement and distance. They're the same.

And the dude who posted up, about 5 m/s and 7 m/s is... BSing.
Don't mix AVERAGE velocity or speed with just speed. We're talking about how fast you're moving at a certain time. If you wanna talk average, like moving 10 meters west in 5 secs and then 7 meters south in 1 sec, it's totally different.
wrote...
11 years ago
Velocity is a vector quantity and speed is scalar. Velocity does have a direction but it is meters per second (distance) If you look at the area under the curve (differentiation) of a velocity vs. time graph and take the absolute value you have your distance, so it is all the same, you just have to know what you are looking for and the relationships between the things, which is the greatest and hardest part of physics.
wrote...
11 years ago
this defenition does lead to some misconceptions,
if I walk 10 meters north and then 10 meters south in 60 seconds my displacement is zero so that means my average velocity is zero but does that mean my speed is also zero in magnitude?

it might not be a good idea to give this defenition if your a  school teacher.
wrote...
11 years ago
Yeah, velocity is speed with direction. Speed is scalar and is the magnitude of velocity. Velocity is a vector and is defined with direction. The important point to remember is that when acceleration occurs, velocity changes and you must treat the individual components separately. When calculating average velocity, you consider each individual velocity. When you calculate average speed, you consider the magnitude of each individual velocity. As speed is just a number, you will be calculating distance over time, with velocity it will be displacement.
wrote...
11 years ago
En español: La velocidad es un vector, por locual se deduce que posee magnitud(speed), dirección y sentido. Por lo menos en teoría.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1107 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 824