b
j
u
j
bugg bugg
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
The question is kind of self explanatory, but I'm taking Advanced Placement Biology and I'm having a free response test and I think part of the question will be to "compare and contrast transcription and translation". So if you can put it in simple terms (even if you can't make it simple, I need all the help I can get) then please comment and explain.

Thanks.
Read 395 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
transcription--

The process by which mRNA is synthesized from a DNA template resulting in the transfer of genetic information from the DNA molecule to mRNA.

translation--

the process by which a messenger RNA molecule specifies the linear sequence of amino acids on a ribosome for protein synthesis.

soo. they both involve the RNA molecules + delivering info- just deliver in different ways.
wrote...
11 years ago
DNA     -transcription->    RNA    -translation->    protein
Transcription: inside nucleus
Translation: in cytoplasm
wrote...
11 years ago
transcription is the making of RNA using DNA as a template. it is in the nucleus of eukaryotic cells.mRNA is made during transcription. mRNA then carries the message of the DNA to the protein-machinery of the cell (to the cytoplasm).
it has three steps:
INITIATION: proteins & RNA polymearse bound to the promotor region of the DNA sequence.
ELONGATION: the RNA polymearse moves along the DNA, untwisting the double helix. the RNA neucleotide are added to the 3' end as the complex moves down the strand the helix reforms with the new RNA molecule straggling away from the DNA template.
TERMINATION: this happens after the RNA polymearse transcribes the terminator sequence in the DNA & the transcribed RNA seq is the actual terminal signal.  

in the cytoplasm.. this is where translation occurs. translation is the synthesis of polypeptides. here is where the proteins are made (under the direction of a ribosome). there are three stages of translation: initiation, elongation, & termination............ahh
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1091 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 81