j
l
d
y
tony123 tony123
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
That makes sense, doesn't it? The nominal GDP divided by population gives you the average amount a citizen makes in a year. Divide by 12 to get the average monthly salary.

Please let me know if this is correct. It logically makes sense to me, however, currently the nominal GDP per capita for the US is about $47,000 and I highly doubt the average monthly wage is $3,900. Or maybe it is and the gap between the rich and the poor here is much worse than I thought.
Read 382 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Afraid not.
GDP is the Gross Domestic Product - it is how much is produced by the economy as a whole. In an efficient economy, workers are paid a wage equal to their marginal product - the value they add to production. If you were in an economy where all production was returned to workers through wages, then what you are saying would be correct. However, this is not the case - other inputs also go into production, such as land and capital. Dividing GDP by 12 will give you the average monthly output of the economy, but only a fraction of that output goes to labor - approximately 2/3 in most developed economies, though I think (from memory) the US might be a little higher (3/4).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1597 People Browsing
 187 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 436