t
i
r
r
00962265 00962265
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
My trichologist told me I have telogen effluvium and mild alopecia areata in the back and right side of my upper head.

I am 17 and a male. I have been losing LOADS of hair each day, and it's not balding in the male pattern baldness way at all.

I know to go bald maybe later on in life your hair needs to be sensitive to dht, does this mean my hair is sensitive to dht?

I read that telogen effluvium and alopecia areata has nothing to do with dht affecting the hair, it's more the nerve as I was very stressed out, wanted to kill myself, didn't go out, ate junk food for many months.

Any help? Do I have the balding gene?
Read 557 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Alopecia areata is essentially an auto-immune disease. While sensitivity to it is probably genetic, the real cause is not known (and very little research is done in that field). If you are lucky, it may grow back.
If you are not, it may turn into alopecia universalis, which is real annoying: not having eyebrows, eyelashes or hair in nostrils makes you very sensitive to dust and smoke.
That has been my lot for the last 26 years, so I know.
wrote...
11 years ago
To my knowledge telogen effluvium is not related to genes.  Alopecia areata, especially of the totalis type, may have a genetic predisposition, but aren't generally found reliably in families either.  At best, alopecia areata is only loosely related to your genes.  Telogen effluvium as you surmised, is generally a response to stress.  Alopecia areata causes, to my knowledge, aren't well described. Both tend to improve with time in most cases.  And you have a "trichologist?"  I have never heard that term.  Maybe that's a British term for a hair doctor.  Or maybe im in the dark about hair doctor nomenclature.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1390 People Browsing
 103 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion