t
m
p
m
Finatic Finatic
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
NASA cut short a spacewalk by two astronauts outside the international space station today after one of them noticed a hole in the outer layer of his glove.  If the hole had penetrated the glove, what would have happened to the astronaut?
Wow. David M. That's not nice.  I'm only 10 years old.  I'm doing a report on Nasa for a school project.  Thought I would add this current event to my report.  Guess I should rather do my report on cranky old people - i'll use you as my primary example.
Read 330 times
8 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
He would have died dummy - what do you not understand about the vacuum of space and the fact that humans cannot live without oxygen and being full of gas will die in a vacuum?
wrote...
11 years ago
he would be vacuumed

his lungs would have instantly collapsed and his blood would have begun boiling. He would have died instantly.
wrote...
11 years ago
The loss of pressure would have been noticed and he/she would have got back into the space station as quick as possible. They would probably survive as long as the leak was not too fast.
wrote...
11 years ago
he would of become a permanent addition to the satellites orbiting this plant.
wrote...
11 years ago
If they just cut the first layer, and even the second layer, they don't have anything to worry about.
But if the cut the layer that hold the pressure in their suit, their blood will boil into a gas, if you would like to see what this would be like, take a hot Coke and shake it up, then open it, that is what their blood would do, depending on how fast the pressure go out of the suit.
And nearly every vain in their bodies would explode from this.
wrote...
11 years ago
Well, the previous posters are being melodramatic.  I think they've all seen those Sci Fi movies where a guy's head explodes after he gets sucked out of a space capsule.  

From what I've read, it's not that extreme.  Yes, your blood will boil eventually, but your body has enough internal pressure to last a minute or so -- it's definitely not an instantaneous and gruesome death.  So, if the astronaut realized something was wrong (and it seems likely a weird sensation would crop up very quickly), I think he'd have time to get back to safety.
wrote...
11 years ago
His hand would have frozen solid after his blood boiled away! When you have an absolute vacuum you have intense suction. It doesn't take long for the tiny amount of atmosphere inside a persons suit to be released to the outside when exposed to absolute vacuum! One pilot had a faulty glove in a high altitude test and he had severe injuries to his hand before they could get him back on the ground!
wrote...
11 years ago
He would probably com-bust. That spot would have frozen, after him boiling. I hate to even think about it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  955 People Browsing
Gallery

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587