a
t
i
r
wrote...
Donated
Trusted Member
12 years ago
I wasn't trying to argue that there was no standard. I just was attempting to posit that there are multiple levels to the selection of mates. Visual attractiveness is one of them but not the only one.

Also, I recant my earlier statement. I just started reading an article in a journal I've subscribed to which discusses symmetry in facial features being a large factor in determining beauty in mate selection standards. Sorry for being too hasty to generalize.
wrote...
12 years ago
different cultures have different opinions,you would say george clooney or angelina jolie because this is what projected by the media driven by money,not only those 2 people as we know,but we get our so called subjective view from tv and so on,

when i say different cultures i mean,i watched a documentary recently about a tribe,but they reached a certain age and had all theyere front teeth chiseled to a point,like canine teeth,in there secluded culture away from the media they saw that as beauty aswell as hygene and made it easyer to eat meat apparently!!
wrote...
12 years ago
Not really, man. I am sure that these two actors would be considered good-looking even by people from very different and even insulated cultures.

There are innate things on which cultural brainwashing has little influence on them.
wrote...
12 years ago
i never said brainwashing,but i suppose it could be concidered!!! culture usually depicts what the person likes,although in some cases people can agree across cultures but the % would differ alot!!

if those 2 actors were black and had chiseled teeth they may be attractive to that tribe!!lol

so could you imagine talking a young person from that tribe that had chiseled teeth and put them out there,do you think people would find that attractive?i highle doubt many will but you should get a small %tage to agree!!i cant imagine who though!!

everyone has a personal taste but media hype contributes to alot of it!!!its 1 of the reasons so many young girls wear alot of make up compaired to say 10 years ago,they feel they must keep up with appearances!!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1326 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79