a
t
i
r
iLearninPhys iLearninPhys
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
what happens when a large amount of a strong acid is added.

H2CO3 + H2O Leftwards Arrow> HCO3- + H3O+

A. The pH rises and the reaction moves to the left
B. the pH falls and the reaction moves to the left
C. the pH rises and the reaction moves to the right
D. The pH falls and the reaction moves to the right
Read 499 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Think about the question-

When a large amount of acid is added, what happens to the pH? The pH decreases (1 = very acid, 7 = neutral, and 14 = very basic).

That means the answer can be B or D

When a stress is put on an equilibrium reaction, the reaction shifts to relieve the stress. Adding a large amount of H3O+ to the right side of the reaction equilibrium will cause the equilibrium to shift to the left.

The correct answer is B.
wrote...
11 years ago
D) pH is falls reaction moves right.'cause high concentration of acids are accumulate in the medium
if strong acid is added in it ,
H2CO3+H2SO4+H2O<=> HCO3- + 4H30+ +SO4-2
wrote...
11 years ago
As you've noted H2CO3 (weak Carbonic acid) and HCO3- (Bicarbonate ion, conjugate base) is a buffer.

I kind of disagree with the other answers.

Strong acid will dissociate 100% into H3O+ ions and anions

HCl + H2O ====> H3O+ + Cl-

as you can see HCl a strong acid produces H3O+ ions.

This produces excess H3O+ ions that stress the equilibrium reaction that you have provided

The reaction (H2CO3 + ...) would consume the H3O+ according to Le Chatelier's principle which would drive the reaction to the left.

And in fact H2CO3 is then converted to Carbon Dioxide and Water which causes the Medulla's respiratory center to raise the respiratory rate.

So I would say based on my information that the pH would rise and the reaction would move to the left. Because you are decreasing the Hydrogen Concentration

If you could check back so we can know the right answer I'd very much appreciate it.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741