a
t
i
r
r
jujubes jujubes
wrote...
11 years ago
I don't understand the differences between a virus and bacteria. They both cause diseases, so what is the difference?
Read 490 times
5 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
the thing i know is that virus isn't a living thing while bacteria is a living thing ! : D
wrote...
11 years ago
Use Google dude....It is your friend...
wrote...
11 years ago
current science does not categorize viruses as being "alive", but bacteria is.  that's one major difference.  then they are different structurally; virus lacks many cellular apparatus and organelles that bacs possess.

http://serc.carleton.edu/microbelife/yellowstone/viruslive.html

EDIT:
also, the answer below mine contains an error in the first paragraph, viruses can have both double-stranded DNA and single-stranded RNA (the latter we call retrovirus)....the copied information from FDA.gov corrected it tho.

*also, a virus that specifically targets bacteria is called a bacteriophage, it would either incorporate its genetic material into the host bacteria as a prophage and lie dormant, or enter the lytic cycle and cause the bac cell to lyse to release new infectious phages.
Answer accepted by topic starter
ritinkar4all Authorritinkar4all
wrote...
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 230 words.