a
t
i
r
rixter119 rixter119
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
11 years ago
If a company is trying to recruit more investors without affecting the owners equity section of their financial statement (especially retained earnings), which option is the better option?  20% stock dividend, a 100% stock dividend or a 2-for-1 stock split?  And why?
Read 447 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
A 100% dividend means they pay you an amount equal to the price of the stock while you still own a share at that price.

For example Stock price = $100
Dividend = $100

You now have a stock worth $100 plus $100 in cash in your pocket.

2-1 split means you now have 2 shares of stock instead of 1.
When it splits the value goes down because more shares are on the market.

Pre split 1 share = $100
Post split 2 shares each worth $60 for a total of $120

see the difference?

What really attracts investors is a stock price the increases. Unless you are looking for income the dividend doesn't mean much. I invest for the long term so I want to see an increase in the stock price so I can make $$$ when I sell the stock.
wrote...
11 years ago
There is no difference in the 2-1 and 100% dividend.  In accounting, a stock dividend of more than 25% is accounted for as a split, simply double the shares and halve the par value per share.  With a dividend, you debit retained earnings and credit common stock, but that does not affect overall equity.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1290 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 370