d
a
g
j
Nursesammy Nursesammy
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Interesting stuff to me but hard to grasp at times.
both can cause cancer...both can be blocked by led right

so an element that is radioactive transmits certain type of electromagnetic waves?
I mean, is radioactivity a type of wave??

I have been researching what happen in Brazil in 1987..so yeah I have so many questions.
Read 397 times
3 Replies
Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
There are three types of radiation, Alpha particles, Beta particles, and Gamma rays. In all three types of radiation, damage is caused. Alpha and Beta particles are actual objects, but Gamma rays are a form of invisible light. Damage by particles and gamma rays is caused when those objects physically collide with the atoms in strands of DNA. When DNA is broken because a radioactive particle or light ray smashed it, errors in cell reproduction occur, causing mutations. Gamma rays are more dangerous because they cause this process mentioned above to happen at a faster rate. Alpha and Beta particles are more liable to cause burns, Gamma rays cause mutations more easily.

I hope that this answers your question.
Answer accepted by topic starter
julesxiiijulesxiii
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free
This verified answer contains over 330 words.

Related Topics

wrote...
11 years ago
Electromagnetic wave is just a general word to imply the same "stuff" that light is, without implying that it must necessarily be visible to the human eye.

Radiation, in two of its three definitions, is another word for any general electromagnetic wave.

Definition #2 of radiation is heat transfer by electromagnetic waves, usually infrared.

Definition #3 of radiation is what relates directly to radioactivity.  Radiation (what I am careful to alternatively call "radioactive products") in this context is a general term for the products of a spontaneously occuring nuclear reaction.  Gamma radiation (Gamma rays) is the one form of radioactive products which ARE electromagnetic waves, and are EM waves in the spectral classification band which is of the highest frequency.

Radioactivity is the name of the phenomena of naturally occuring nuclear reactions.  A substance is radioactive if it naturally has nuclear reactions, and it will typically give off radioactive products from the following "options":
1: alpha decay (alpha particles): the nucleus ejects a helium nucleus known as an alpha particle, of two protons and two neutrons.
2: beta decay (beta particles): beta particles are electrons.  A neutron in the nucleus converts into a proton + an electron + a few more particles.  The proton becomes part of the new nucleus, and the electron is ejected and is called the beta particle.
3: gamma decay (gamma radiation): the nuclear reactions emit gamma rays.  Usually this occurs simultaneously with the other types of radioactivity.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1695 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 484