t
i
r
r
lenadamelio lenadamelio
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
I need to know the different conditions required for growth of ornamental plants and large-scale crop production...

I just need to know the common differences or main differences.

( As in...like diff between a plant and a animal....not diff between a venus fly trap and a Rhino)

Just an e.g.
Read 270 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
They are similar in they perform best under idea conditions, proper soil type, fertility levels, light levels, and moisture levels.  They are different in the way they are raised.  Ornamentals require a lot of hands on management while large scale crops are sort of mass produced.  Very much like the difference in mass produced Ford automobiles vs a hand made Rolls Royce.  Ornamentals are often raised in containers or pots and are a lot more sensitive to moisture levels,  Too much water will water-log the soil, to little and they dry out and stress the plant very fast. A large amount of organic matter is used with ornamentals to help keep the water and air in the soil more stable.  Large scale crops require large amounts of fertilizer, usually applied at planting,  ornamentals require small amounts of readily available fertilizer applied several times per year.  Most large scale crops are annuals, grow, reproduce and die back each year.  They must be planted back by seed.  Most ornamentals are perennials, their life span is over many years.  Some are tropical plants and must be protected during the winter months.  There are many more differences and, of course, exceptions to the examples I've used, but these are some of the major differences.
wrote...
11 years ago
Ornamental plants are potted by hand in potting soil.  They need light and water and occasional fertilizer.
A whole crop needs the ground to be tilled then planted, fertilized and watered and needs good light.  The crop needs to be harvested.
May God bless you.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1316 People Browsing
 107 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
How often do you eat-out per week?
Votes: 79