i
r
r
RiverTmasco RiverTmasco
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
the function is 4/5x^2

I'd know how to differentiate this, but we were asked to NOT use the Quotient Rule we learned in Calculus. How would I rewrite and diffrentiate the given function without using the Quotient Rule?

Show your work.
Oh yeah, and this function, too. (4x^3/2)/x
to John: thanks, that was really helpful!
Read 423 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Step by step..........

y = 4/5x^2 = (4x^-2)/5

dy/dx = (-8x^-3)/5 = -8/5x^3
wrote...
11 years ago
method 1:
y = 4 /(5x^2)

y = 4/5 * 1/x^2

y = 4/5* x^(-2)

dy / dx = y ' = 4/5[(-2)x^(-2-1)]

dy / dx = y ' = 4/5[-2x^(-3]

dy / dx = y ' = (-8/5) (x^-3)

dy / dx = y ' = (-8/5) (1/x^3)
dy / dx = y ' = -8/(5x^3)

method 2:
y = 4 /(5x^2)

lny = ln[4/(5x^2)]

lny = ln4 - ln5 - lnx^2

lny = ln4 - ln5 - 2lnx

d(lny) / dx = y ' / y = 0 - 0 - 2 (1/x )

y ' / y = -2 / x      or     y ' = -2y/x

y ' = -2[4/(5x^2)] / x    (note: y  = 4/(5x^2) )
y ' = -8 / (5x^3)
wrote...
11 years ago
The other answer is perfectly right, but I thought I would explicate a little  You NEVER need the quotient rule.  Just use the product rule: (uv)'=uv'+u'v.  Treating your problem above with it.  Where u=4 and v=1/(5x^2), (uv)'=uv'+u'v= 4(1/(5x^2))'+0(1/(5x^2))=(4/5)(x^-2)'=(4/5)*(-2)(x^-3)=(-8/5)/(x^3).  If you keep doing calculus, you will probably begin doing that problem in your head without hardly thinking about it and I'd be amazed if anyone on a higher level would do that problem with a quotient rule.  In fact, I can't remember seeing the quotient rule since calc I.  When it comes down to it, the quotient rule really is just the power rule with a little help from the chain rule, just with the necessity of converting a positive denominator to a negatively powered numerator.  Just always remember that power in the denominator is the same as negative power to the same factor as a numerator.  It works especially well for a more complex problem such as (((x-2)^3)/(3x^4))'.  Instead of quotient rule, you just apply the product rule to ((x-2)^3)*(3x^-4).  So as I said, keep the product rule in mind and switch the value of the power of the denominator to a numerator with a negative power and I bet you never have a problem or need the quotient past your class.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  886 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741

Previous poll results: How often do you eat-out per week?