a
t
i
r
lemur lemur
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
This is for an astronomy homework assignment and I'm really struggling. I know the formula is F =oT^4 (o=sigma), but where do I go from there? The hint says, "Set up a ratio of the flux of the sun compared to the flux of the star, then cancel common terms. Could someone help me?
Read 730 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Check the luminosity formulas, you can find there what you are looking for... Wink Face
(there is also the relation between Flux and Luminosity)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminosity#Luminosity_formulas

Cheers!
wrote...
11 years ago
The clue (offered as a 'hint') is the ratio. in a ratio the constant multipliers get cancelled out leaving only the bare variables on both sides of the equation ( = ).
If you are out to calculate the Fluxes ratio, then ?, the Stephen's constant gets cancelled out.
If we denote F as the Flux ratio (w.r.t.) Sun & L as Luminosity ratio, 'size ratio' doesn't have a place to stand in this scheme."5.0 times greater" is an unscientific way of  expressing the terms. Does it mean 5 times in radius (then ratio of R is 5.0) or is it volume (in whch case the Radii ratio would be ?5 = 1.71). It can be
"5.0 times greater" in surface area in which case the Radii ratio woul dbe ?5.
I need this information to use in my formula
L = [RT²]²
in which L is expressed as ratio of quantities which are each expessible as "W/m²" at surface (R from its centre) -- Flux per unit area.
1. If I take '"greater" to mean volume => R = 1.71, that leads to
L = 1.71² = 5²/³ = 2.9240
if for the same temperature.
2. If "greater" means Radius (ratio, then),
L = 5² = 25 (again, same temparature).
3. If it is surface that was meant, as you can see the L is the same at 5.0.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1315 People Browsing
Related Images