s
b
j
u
lengjacinto lengjacinto
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Please can you explain why the output voltage of a wind turbine generator is linearly proportional to the angular speed  of the rotor based on Faraday's induction law and the definition of magnetic flux?

Please help me i cant find it anywhere
Read 414 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
E=N d(flux)/dt.  d(flux)dt is directly related to angular velocity.
wrote...
11 years ago
Faraday's Law states that the voltage produced in a coil, moving relative to a magnetic field, is directly proportional to the number of turns in the coil times the change in magnetic flux per unit time.

V = -n (dB/dt)

In a rotating machine, obviously the number of turns in the coil is a constant. Also, the magnetic field in permanent magnet generators can be considered a constant for this purpose.

What changes when a wind turbine rotor speeds up (or slows down) is the rate of change of magnetic flux per unit time. When the rotor speeds up, the dt in the denominator becomes smaller (it takes less time for the rotor to move a fixed angle). Therefore, the voltage must increase as the speed increases. Conversely, as the rotor slows down, it takes more time for the rotor to move a some fixed angle and the dt in the denominator becomes larger, causing the voltage to drop. If the rotor is stationary then it effectively takes an infinite amount of time for the rotor to move a given angle. If dt becomes infinity, obviously, V becomes zero.

For the pedants out there:
I am aware that I played a little loose with dt vs. delta t, but for the purposes here I think it illustrates the point well enough
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1060 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 405

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?