t
i
r
bluefade bluefade
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
8 years ago
Next, look at the emission line spectra for the following elements:

Hydrogen (H), Helium (He), Oxygen (O), Neon (Ne), Argon (Ar)

(atomic numbers 1, 2, 8, 10, and 18)

Judging from the number of visible energy-level transitions (lines) in the spectra, list the above elements in order starting from least complex to most complex atomic structure? (Note, however, that number of visible emission lines does not necessarily indicate atomic complexity.)  Does the order you listed make sense?  Do a little research (reading text or using the web) and write a few sentences explaining your answer.  
Read 913 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Have you tried this thread? CONTINUOUS, EMISSION LINE, AND ABSORPTION LINE SPECTRA

Please get back to me if you need more assistance.
bluefade Author
wrote...
8 years ago
Yes I have looked at that.  The obvious answer is look at the table and list from smallest to largest, but that seemed a little to easy to me.  Especially since my professor wants an explanation of how I came to that conclusion.  maybe I am over thinking it, I don't know.  Thank for the reply.  Let me know if maybe I should look somewhere else.  This question is driving me crazy lol.   
wrote...
Educator
8 years ago
Try the following attachment Slight Smile
 Attached file 
(92.5 KB)
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
wrote...
6 years ago
Would the higher the atomic number of an element indicated a more complex atomic structure, given there are more visible energy-level transmission lines in the spectra?

For example, from least to most complex would read:
   -H, He, O, Ne, Ar

Given that more space (separate) the visible lines found in Hydrogen. As you look at the others list in order, the lines are more continuously (less space).
wrote...
Educator
6 years ago
Would the higher the atomic number of an element indicated a more complex atomic structure, given there are more visible energy-level transmission lines in the spectra?

More complex, as in more electrons and more shells -- I agree with that statement
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1366 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 328

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?