a
t
i
r
arsyyn arsyyn
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hey guys, I'm just a day away from making the big switch from Information Systems to something Biology-related. I've hated my major for a year and I felt it's time for a change.

Anyway, I'm having some trouble deciding between Biomedical Biology and just a general degree in Biology. A couple things that may help:

• I've been obsessed with fitness and learning about how it affects the human body.
  • Human anatomy and biology interests me a little more, but I'm not sure if Biomed focuses on that or what.

Also I'm not sure which would be more difficult. Any guidance would be great.
Read 2174 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Hello =)

With regard to your post, I am a Biology major. At first I came into the major with much hopes and passion for Biology. This was the only drive that made me register for a Bachelor in Biology. But as you progress through the major, and this is what I did not anticipate coming, it turned out to be more of a chemistry major than Biology. And I am not a big fan of that. Currently I am still into Biology, but day after day, we go deeper and deeper into biochemistry and organic chemistry, and we start to connect everything we study to some chemical monster! If you really are into physiology, it is a lot of applied biology, with aspects of biochemistry. It is more to the biomedical side. General biology is more for those interested in chemistry, and in pursuing graduate studies in there. Keep in mind that physiology is tough, so as general biology, specially if you want to specialize in a certain field. You need to make sure you go through all fields as electives so that you are aware of what you would like to specialize in later on. I am currently in the process of taking as much as I can biology course to familiarize myself with the fields, but its not looking so good so far Wink Face Always for the best though....
Hope this helps you out a little =)
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

wrote...
11 years ago
I have a degree in biology. If you take biology, you learn a little bit about everything related to it, i.e. human anatomy, botany, zoology, the environment, etc. It doesn't necessarily gear to a particular career, because you're really not an expert anything. However, if you have a plan master in something related to research afterwards, it's definitely open to you. If you take something like biomedical biology, it's more oriented to finding a job after four years of study. Pick something whose job prospects are high; don't just pick it because you are interested in it. I picked biology because I had the goal of becoming a medical doctor.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
wrote...
Bronze Member
11 years ago
The one thing to note is the job opportunities available out in the market once reaching graduation General biology is definitely broader and you can branch into any section of biology for work or study in future. whileh biomedical is too precise. I would recommend general biology as a general undergraduate degree. if you like you can do a masters for biomed in future
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1258 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431