t
m
p
m
Octavio113 Octavio113
wrote...
Rep: 4 0
11 years ago
Mutational changes were induced in a single codon in the gene of T4 phage. The following amino acid substitutions were observed. By following the base changes in the codons, determine the codon for each mutant. Assume each amino acid substitution resulted from a single base substitution. Codons for several amino acids are provided. UAG, UAA, and UGA are stop codons. No additional information is required to solve this problem

Normal :
Mutant A: UGG
Mutant B:
Mutant C:
Mutant D:
Mutant E:

The answers I have come up with are:
Normal: UCG
Mutant B: UUG
Mutant C: CGG
Mutant D: GGG
Mutant E: GUG

This is also a problem that was listed here two years ago, but was never solved.  (S)he was missing the flow chart that I have attached.  Unfortunately, since I am a newb, I don't know how to find or link it.  If anyone can check to see if I am right, I would appreciate it.  If need be, I can explain how I got my answers.  Thanks!
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
Read 2727 times
11 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
If need be, I can explain how I got my answers.

also looking at this scratching my noggin, what did you do to obtain those?
Sunshine ☀ ☼
Octavio113 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Okay, so we already know what Mutant A is UGG, because it was given.  According to the flow chart, MA derived from the normal, AA Serine. Since only one base is changing, the only codon that could mutate from Serine to Tryptophan is UCG.
 For Mutant B, both the normal and Mutant A affect it's possible outcomes.  Giving us, UUG. (The C in the normal, and the G in MA mutate to U giving us Leucine.) Since the flow chart says that is what MB is, we have no other choice. 
Mutant C which is Arginine, from Mutant A, has to be CGG. 
Mutant D, which is Glycine, from Mutant C, has to be GGG. 
Mutant E, which is Valine is from both Mutant B and Mutant D, and this is the one I am not so certain about, but I can only surmise that it is GUG. 

Basically, I just did a process of elimination based on the information I had.  Each three base codon mutated only one base.  Since we know what Amino Acid it mutated to, we need only find which codons represent which AAs.
Would love it if someone could validate my process, or tell me I am a moron, and explain what is really going on. 
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Why is tryptophan a mutant if UGG is the actual code that represents it?

Octavio113 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Because is was, in its normal form Serine, and mutated to Tryptophan. 

UCG(Normal)--->UGG(Mutant A).
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Okay... So UCG (normal) to UGG (mutant A) to CGG (mutant C) to GGG (mutant D)?
Octavio113 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
That's what I have.  Accuracy is debatable...lol.
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
That's what I have.  Accuracy is debatable...lol.

So you're right, it all comes down to guessing and checking which ones would fit. This isn't science lol
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
11 years ago
Couldn't Mutant C be AGG OR CGG?
If not, please let me know why.
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Octavio113 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Yes, it can.  Thanks for pointing that out.  The rest of the answers are correct, per the instructor.
wrote...
10 years ago
is this question from the UC Berkley online genetics class?
wrote...
10 years ago
yes
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1000 People Browsing
Related Images