t
i
r
Kurtron Kurtron
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
Hey everyone,

I wonder if there are any geneticists out there. I am quite uneducated in biology. So please bear with me. As I understand it, GMOs are living beings that have had traits inserted into their DNA, ie, arctic fish genes inserted into tomatoes to enable them to withstand and survive cold snaps. This is the genetic expression of the "Chimera" from greek mythology of different beasts fused together. Taking a trait from an animal and giving it to a plant. This in itself is mind blowing. And then I read a book called Regenesis, George Church's book on synthetic biology, wherein it was described how they used a virus containing the DNA of one bacteria to infect a different, similar species of bacteria with the former's DNA, and effectively "converted" the latter into the former organism. It was a simple enough cellular system that the whole works could replace itself.  Here's what the WSJ said they did:

To begin, they wrote out the creature's entire genetic code as a digital computer file, documenting more than one million base pairs of DNA in a biochemical alphabet of adenine, cytosine, guanine and thymine. They edited that file, adding new code, and then sent that electronic data to a DNA sequencing company called Blue Heron Bio in Bothell, Wash., where it was transformed into hundreds of small pieces of chemical DNA, they reported.

To assemble the strips of DNA, the researchers said they took advantage of the natural capacities of yeast and other bacteria to meld genes and chromosomes in order to stitch those short sequences into ever-longer fragments until they had assembled the complete genome, as the entire set of an organism's genetic instructions is called.

They transplanted that master set of genes into an emptied cell, where it converted the cell into a different species.

WHAAAAT.

I cannot fathom the full implications of this. I have some questions....

1. To what extent could this synthetic DNA be implanted into an already living/functioning cell that hasn't yet been emptied and morph it into something else? (on a lesser note, could that fish gene be implanted into an existing tomato plant and successfully render it resilient to cold?)

2. Could you alter a complex system of living/functioning cells that have differentiated tasks that are already living (--Say, fixing a part of an internal organ or even replacing the whole thing without surgery)?

3. Would the cellular system need to be suspended or die in order to alter it? Is an empty cell "dead" in the first place or is it on a kind of life support system?

4. Does it matter where the energy comes from in order for a cell to function as long as it is received in ATP?
(could you convert energy from photosynthesis into energy useable in cellular respiration?)

Hopefully y'all can shed some light on this. The old adage comes to mind: "If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything"

Thank you,

~Kurtis
Read 650 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
1. To what extent could this synthetic DNA be implanted into an already living/functioning cell that hasn't yet been emptied and morph it into something else? (on a lesser note, could that fish gene be implanted into an existing tomato plant and successfully render it resilient to cold?)

No, because a tomato plant consists of several different tissues. For example, you have cells programmed to become the stem, cells programmed to become the fruit. If you were to implant a gene in a pre-existing plant, you'd have to implant them into the meristematic tissue (which are the progenitor cells). A meristem is the tissue in most plants consisting of undifferentiated cells (meristematic cells), found in zones of the plant where growth can take place.

2. Could you alter a complex system of living/functioning cells that have differentiated tasks that are already living (--Say, fixing a part of an internal organ or even replacing the whole thing without surgery)?

No... This wouldn't work, unless you were to insert the gene into the progenitor cells. The most common progenitor cells in a human are the cells found in the bone marrow, that make new blood every day. That's why leukaemia is more treatable now than it ever was before (so-called, bone marrow transplants).

3. Would the cellular system need to be suspended or die in order to alter it? Is an empty cell "dead" in the first place or is it on a kind of life support system?

Once a cell is damaged, it programs itself to die either internally or by presenting the foreign object inside of it to immune cells, which in turn release enzymes to digest and kill it.

4. Does it matter where the energy comes from in order for a cell to function as long as it is received in ATP?
(could you convert energy from photosynthesis into energy useable in cellular respiration?)

Photosynthesis creates sugar, which in turn is used by the same cells to create ATP.
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
Kurtron Author
wrote...
11 years ago
First off, thank you for your reply robertling. Your reply has sparked some more questions. I realize this might be a totally inane discussion so thanks again.

If you were to implant a gene in a pre-existing plant, you'd have to implant them into the meristematic tissue (which are the progenitor cells). A meristem is the tissue in most plants consisting of undifferentiated cells (meristematic cells), found in zones of the plant where growth can take place.

A. Then theoretically in the meristem part of a branch on an apple tree, you could implant a modified DNA sequence to say "grow apricots instead of apples" and that branch would continue to grow and then produce apricots?

B. Also, if this is the case, would the act itself of implanting new DNA be an interruption of the life process in any sense? Would life be ''on hold'' for a split second while the new DNA was recognized by the progenitor cells? (Sort of a weird question but has spooky metaphysical implications "In Medias Res")

No... This wouldn't work, unless you were to insert the gene into the progenitor cells. The most common progenitor cells in a human are the cells found in the bone marrow, that make new blood every day.

Ok, so I'm wrapping my mind around this. Wikipedia says "A progenitor cell is a biological cell that, like a stem cell, has a tendency to differentiate into a specific type of cell, but is already more specific than a stem cell and is pushed to differentiate into its "target" cell. Progenitor cells are found in adult organisms and they act as a repair system for the body. They replenish special cells, but also maintain the blood, skin and intestinal tissues."

C. I don't quite grasp the cause & effect here. What's pushing a progenitor cell to differentiate? What determines its "target" cell? I understand that DNA will determine what the target cell will be, but does this also mean that DNA is responsible for guiding cell differentiation?

Once a cell is damaged, it programs itself to die either internally or by presenting the foreign object inside of it to immune cells, which in turn release enzymes to digest and kill it.

D. Hmm. I once read that the cells composing our bodies all die and are replaced cumulatively over 7 years. If there was sufficiently advanced technology to scan and identify cells on the verge of death or that have just died, would it be possible to catch the progenitor cell on its way to replace the dead one and inject it with new DNA thru nanotechnology, etc. that still maintains the 'life-integrity' of the differentiated tissue it is going to?

E. How much of the activation of DNA sequences or "turning on" of genes is circumstantial and environmentally conditioned?

F. Here's a far out hypothetical situation, I'm sure there's no research out there at all, so an educated guess is surely welcome: Let's say you had your skin removed or slowly replaced with a photosynthetic membrane of sorts that possessed all of the same structural requirements of skin but allowed you to derive enough energy from the sun to live. What would happen? Let's say all you had to do was take a multivitamin to sustain the nutrients like iron required of your body as well. On a technical level, would the photosynthetic sugar diffuse through your skin cells into your blood stream and be carried to wherever it needed to go? would your stomach and digestive tracts become damaged from inactivity? My gut feeling tells me there'd be a horrible implication in the long term, but I don't know scientifically whether it's the case or not. Again, any speculations based on science are welcome.

Thank you again!

-Kurtron
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1404 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Where do you get your textbooks?