a
t
i
r
princess001 princess001
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
11 years ago
1. Why cannot St Elmo's fire be observed in the interior of a conductor?

2. By considering the electric forces acting and Newton's second law, explain the type of motion occurring in a uniform electric field. 

3. By considering the electric forces acting and Newton's second law, explain the type of motion occurring in a non-uniform electric field.

4. In which direction must a test charge be moved within an electric field if potential energy is to be stored in the system? Explain. (consider both + and - charges)

THANK YOU Slight Smile PLEASE HELP!
Read 1167 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
2. By considering the electric forces acting and Newton's second law, explain the type of motion occurring in a uniform electric field.

Newtons second law states that the acceleration of an object depends upon the force acting on it and the objects mass. If an electron got accelerated through a uniform electric field then the electron would follow a parabolic path which is the motion of the electron. Electric force = V/d, if a larger object got accelerated through a uniform electric field then the motion of the object would be slower, however the greater the force of the electric field the faster the object would be accelerated through the field.
princess001 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank you
wrote...
11 years ago
Glad I could help.

4. In which direction must a test charge be moved within an electric field if potential energy is to be stored in the system? Explain. (consider both + and - charges)

You must do positive work on the system for the system to gain potential. In the case of electric field, that means moving against the field direction (for a positive charge at least).

You can think of it in an analogous gravity sense. The gravitation field is directed towards the center of mass, AKA down. To increase GPE, you must move up, i.e. against the field direction.

Be sure though to watch whether the test charge is positive or negative because that WILL change your answer.
princess001 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
I need help on the other two please help
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1389 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite math subject?
Votes: 293