a
t
i
r
lelan17 lelan17
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
There are seasons, specific gravitation, water, sand, soil and air which are also kind of related to the earth's inclination. It is also the reason for getting sunlight to all part of the earth for sometime in the year.
What all will change if the earth's inclination changes?
Any thoughts?
I do agree that this will not happen overnight. But will this be also a cause of the global warming which we are constantly blaming ourselves due to green house gases, burning fuels etc.
Though the changes would be 1000th or less degrees, but it can impact huge on the global climatic conditions.
What happens a meteorite hits earth that is large enough to change this inclination? What are the impact of comets on the earth inclination?
Read 302 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
First of all, in your main question, you asked "when" so let me point out that the inclination of the Earth's axis to it's orbit around the sun does not change over time.  We do experience precession (where the axis points at a different place in the sky over time) and also Nutation (which is a wobble as it moves around through precession), but during both of these processes the angle remains roughly 23.5 degrees.  By the way, the fact that we have a moon as large as we do is the main stabilizing factor in keeping the earth at 23.5 degrees inclination.

Now, if it were to change, it would have global consequences.  If it shallowed, we would have less difference between the seasons.  If it increased, we would have much more pronounced seasons.  Either way, the inhabitable areas of the earth would change significantly.  As a result, wind patterns would change, ocean currents (Thermohaline Circulation) would be altered, etc.

Earth would be a much different place if we were not at 23.5 degrees inclination!! Slight Smile
wrote...
11 years ago
so, do you walk across train tracks when massive locomotives come rushing at you pulling hundreds of boxcars (probably filled with melamine-contaminated dog food), just on the slim likelihood that the train will suddenly (and instantaneously) stop?

no?

why not?

Don't you think something that massive could suddenly just... change?

funny... neither do i.

the Earth is MASSIVE... the Angular Momentum (so huge it deserves capitals) of the Earth is not gonna just flip-over.  Ever.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1350 People Browsing
Related Images