m
m
K
b
ThaJester ThaJester
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
2 years ago
Your student Lucas was diagnosed recently with dyslexia, a learning disability covered under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). Lucas's mom is distraught to learn about her son's disability, and she knows nothing about an IEP or special education.

Explain the IEP process to the mom and describe how she will be involved in her son's education. Describe what's included in an IEP.
Textbook 

Educational Psychology

Edition: 13th
Author:
Read 180 times
2 Replies
Replies
Answer verified by a subject expert
poldopoldo
wrote...
2 years ago
Sign in or Sign up in seconds to unlock everything for free.
Mrs. Lucas, your son's learning disability is covered by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA). This law ensures that students with any disability receive the education and support they need to succeed. Millions of children are covered under this law. When IDEA was drafted, lawmakers recognized that each student covered by this law is unique and needs an individualized education program (IEP). The IEP is an agreement between the school and the parents, and it specifies the services and support Lucas will receive. He will have an IEP designed specifically for him. He will be involved in special education classes only part of the time and will remain in his regular classroom with me the rest of the time.
You and I will be part of the team that designs the IEP. Others on the team are the school psychologist, the special education teacher, and the assistant principal. Lucas will also be included in IEP meetings. The IEP includes detailed information needed for all of us to help Lucas succeed. It will look like this:
1. It states his present level of academic achievement and functional performance.
2. Annual goals: We will state short-term objectives that lead up to the annual goal. We'll decide what strategies to use to achieve the goals. You will receive progress reports every grading period.
3. Special education plans: This describes the special teaching he will receive outside my classroom. I will work with his special education teacher and we will make sure we are supporting Lucas in his reading and writing for every subject.
4. Schedule of special education time and time in my classroom: He will spend a certain number of hours each day in special education.
5. State and district assessments: Lucas will take these assessments, but he will be allowed accommodations to make sure he knows what the questions say.
Every year we will revise the program with new goals based on Lucas's progress and needs.
This verified answer contains over 330 words.