i
r
r
yoona!09 yoona!09
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
Hi,
I am doing a lab report and I don't understand how to do this question. It would be nice if someone can help . Thank you in advance!

--Prepare graphs relating reaction rate (amount of substrate consumed
divided by the length of time needed to reach endpoint) and enzyme
concentration as a dilution of pure saliva. Discuss the relationship. Is
this a true reaction rate? Discuss your results.--

The data is right here:

Here is the dilution and the time it took:

1:10 took 4:30
1:20 took 5:00
1:40 took 12:30
1:80 took 17:00
Read 894 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Hey! Did you get an answer to this question Neutral Face I am in the same boat. Please let me know if you came up with an answer.

Thanks
yoona!09 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
No sorry i haven't gotten reply yet so i stuck with the question. Frowning Face
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Hi =)

I think the way to solve this is by plotting on the enzyme concentration on the Y-axis, and on the X axis the rxn rate. But to do that, you need to graph first the substrate concentration versus time (here most probably you would get a straight line because as I see on the results, the more subrstrate, the more time), in order to get the reaction rate to THEN plot it against enzyme concetration. You should obtain some sort of line or curve ( most probably a curve). Draw the best fit line or curve. You might end up with Y=x2 or y=x or y=root X or perhaps an exponential graph. Maybe even get a direct proportionality or inverse proportionality, depending on the graph you obtain, and the mathematical representation that corresponds to the graph.
For discussing the relation, this is a conceptual question. It is testing how well you grasped the concept of how enzymes work. Now since it is a dilution of saliva, we expect the salivary glands to increase enzyme secretion ( higher concentration) upon ingestion of food. So it will rise for a certain time, reaching a climax, and then drop sequentially as food is no longer ingested. You see where I am going? So maybe, as food conc. increases, enzyme conc increase, and when food conc. decreases, enzyme conc. decreases. Here you've got a direct proportionality. Discuss your results= write everything you know and could think of. =P That's what I do in my labs, and most of the time, I get the full grade Wink Face

Good luck!
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

yoona!09 Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Thank you so much i have been waiting for someone to reply to me for days. Thank you again
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
No problem =)
B.Sc in Biology
M.Sc Neuroscience
PhD. Candidate in Neuroscience

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1298 People Browsing
 123 Signed Up Today
Related Images