t
i
r
lexy0108 lexy0108
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
please help!
the question is: Design a controlled experiment to test the effect of varying pH, temperature, or enzyme concentration.
I have no clue! lol
=//
if you honestly know, please help me and my lab group
thank you so much :]
Read 3286 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
Firstly, choose one enzyme you want to work with. The simplest is Salivary amylase.
To get the enzyme, just take out some saliva from your mouth! The test you will have to do is add some of the enzyme to a starch solution (say 5% starch solution: prepared by adding 5 grams of starch to 100ml of distilled water, and heat it if it doesn't dissolve readily). Add the enzyme to the starch solution and leave it for a while. some time later (say, 10 minutes), Add a few drops of Benedict's reagent to the mixture and heat it on a hot-water bath. The colour of the solution will change to different hues of dark green to orange-brown to reddish orange indicating that the starch has been broken into simpler sugars by the enzyme. This serves as the control. Coming to the experiments as such:
For studying effect of varying pH: Take 5 test tubes. In one of the tubes add 1 ml of dilute HCl and 4 ml distilled water (maybe 0.1N) and in another add 5 ml of dilute Hcl and no water. In another tube add 1ml of dilute solution of NaOH (maybe 0.1N) and 4 ml distilled water and in another add 5ml dilute  NaOH and no water. In the fifth tube add only 5 ml water and no acid or alkali. This is the control
To all the tubes add the enzyme and the starch solution as before and carry out the reaction and the Benedict's test. Check the results.
Now for the other two, rack your brains. I can't tell you every thing right?
Some hints: For the temperature test, keep 4 tubes at different temperatures. Folow with Benedict's test.
Enzyme concentration test. Dilute the enzyme to adding water to it. Keep the control as it is.
If you get stuck in any place please let me know. I'll be more than happy to help!! Good luck!!
wrote...
11 years ago
hey  lol
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1242 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who will win the 2024 president election?
Votes: 3
Closes: November 4

Previous poll results: What's your favorite coffee beverage?