a
t
i
r
riverfan riverfan
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I have to do a debate and I am arguing against embryonic stem cell research. I have that it they so far can only grow in goat serum, cow serum and antibiotics (all animal proteins)  etc...and how the antigens are unsafe, untested etc... Animal proteins do not mix well with humans.

I also have how if scientists can get passed growing embryos in a human safe substance, putting them into the human will only cause tumors and cancer which results in embryonic stem cell research being unsuccessful.
Read 443 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
ummm,  it makes the Christian fundamentalists mad.

it makes the republicans who want support from the Christian fundamentalists mad.
(Oh wait, that's what they say.  But if they didn't have the issue, then they'd lose that support.  So, they love it, but just won't say so.)

God doesn't approve of it.  (Yeah, i have a direct line. Wink Face

OH, oh, i know.  it will lead to Franken children -- embryos that are designed to be twins of their rich parents.  Or, military kids, designed to join the military and be soldiers.  (that will, in fact, happen, but probably not in the US.  OR, maybe football embryos designed to grow up into 500 pound linemen.  That could happen as well.  even in the US.)

Edit:  i note that imacatholic wants you to base your argument on the fact that the catholic church doesn't approve.  last time i looked, it was not the nation's job to support the views of any particular religion.  (i presume i got a thumbs down because he's jealous of my direct line. Slight Smile
wrote...
11 years ago
You are making a lot of assumptions/statements. I hope you have some hard evidence to support your theories. Otherwise, your argument will be invalid.

A major con in using embryos is that it raises an ethical issue. We are taking live human cells to research on. Many people believe that it is immoral because we are "using" another "human being."
wrote...
11 years ago
1) It hasn't shown any promise.

2) The only consistent result they've been able to achieve is causing cancer in the recipient.

3) ASC's have been successful enough that they've removed the one supposed "advantage" of ESC's- that of becoming any tissue type. Not only have ESC's failed to live up to that expectation, but with ASC's we already have access to every tissue type we could ever want.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1270 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352