I
k
j
o
beautifulife18 beautifulife18
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
The barrier to C-C bond rotation in iodoethane is 13 kJ/mol. What energy can you assign to an H-I eclipsing interaction?
Use strain energy increments from the table below in your calculation.

H-H eclipsed = Torsional strain = 4.0 kJ/mol
H-CH3 eclipsed = Mostly torsional strain = 6.0 kJ/mol
CH3-CH3 eclipsed =Torsional and steric strain = 11.0 kJ/mol
CH3-CH3 gauche = Steric strain = 3.8 kJ/mol   
Read 6068 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Been a while since I've done this, but if you draw a Newman projection of iodoethane with the CH3 to the back, then a iodine would be staggered between two hydrogens. If you perform a single rotation of 120°, you will end up with an equivalent rotational form. At 60°, you will have two H-H eclipsed interactions and one H-I eclipsed interaction. Recall that there are no CH3 groups to be eclipsed or gauche. You know each H-H eclipsed is 4 kJ/mol (8 kJ/mol total) and the reported barrier is 14 kJ/mol. Therefore the H-I eclipsed interaction must be 6 kJ/mol, (14-8 = 6).
wrote...
12 years ago
thank you so much! It makes perfect sense now Slight Smile
wrote...
12 years ago

lol sure glad I could help
wrote...
12 years ago

I'm in Organic chem I and I wish it had more math like general chem, the general structures you have to learn are very tedious. Thankfully there are a limited amount of functional groups to know, very easy to make mistakes that you look back on as silly.
wrote...
Staff Member
12 years ago

I'm in Organic chem I and I wish it had more math like general chem, the general structures you have to learn are very tedious. Thankfully there are a limited amount of functional groups to know, very easy to make mistakes that you look back on as silly.

I find it to be more imagination and making 3D images in your mind, sort of.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  967 People Browsing
Related Images