a
t
i
r
firas kilani firas kilani
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
During a check- up why do doctors ask patients to take a deep breath? i have a stethoscope at home and breath sounds/heart beats r pretty much the same to me during and after deep breaths r taken ...
Read 418 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
so you can relax and breathe normal
wrote...
11 years ago
When doctors say this they should have a stethoscope on your back or chest because they are listening to the air rush in and out of your lungs.  They are trained to know the difference between normal lung sound and abnormal sounds.  Any abnormal lung sounds mean you are sick and need treatment.
wrote...
11 years ago
The doctor is trained to hear abnormal sounds of the heart and lungs.  He or she may hear a heart murmur or abnormal breathing sounds in the bronchi tubes or lungs.  A trained ear is the key.  
wrote...
11 years ago
To listen to your lungs if it has mucus in them you will hear a resistance. Also, that can be a bad thing.. so they always check during a physical.
wrote...
11 years ago
They are trained to listen to sounds on the back of the lungs. Rasping sounds or congestion on exhalation or inhalation helps find asthma or other breathing issues.
wrote...
11 years ago
When I place my stethoscope on your back or sides and ask you to take a deep breath, I'm listening to your breath sounds.

If I do so when my stethoscope is on the front of your chest, I'm trying to listen to your heart sounds without the interference of the breath sounds.
wrote...
11 years ago
When I ask patients to take a deep breath, I'm usually listening to the air moving into and out of their lungs.  If you're normal and in a quiet room, they probably sound about the same.  However, in some conditions, sound become evident only when there is a quicker, deeper breath (like wheezing in early COPD).  Also, taking a big breath helps make the sounds louder, which is very helpful if there is any noise in the room.

Deep breaths can also accentuate certain heart murmurs or extra heart sounds, which can help distinguish between physiologic and pathological murmurs (or a fixed or variable S2, for instance).
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1276 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion