s
a
t
i
r
rmountel rmountel
wrote...
11 years ago
What will the ratio of brown eyes children to blue eye children from 2 heterozygous brown-eyed parents be?  ( the brown eyes is the dominant trait and the blue eyes are recessive)  Also if you can make a punnet square.

Could you guys tell me how you got the answer? I don't really understand all this heterozygous and homozygous stuff.
Read 484 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
3 to 1

______         ____  Brown   Blue
Brown _____  Brown   Brown
Blue     _______  Brown   Blue

there are four possible outcomes and the dominate trait will be shown.
sry for the messed up punnet square
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
10 years ago
This trait is made up of two alleles, B or b.  Capital B is dominant to lower-case b.  B represents the brown-eyed allele (dominant), and b represents the blue-eyed allele (recessive).

Hetero- means different, and homo- means same.  So a heterozygote would be Bb and a homozygote would be BB or bb (depending on what type of homozygote they are [brown or blue eyed]).

2 heterozygous brown eyed parents would both be Bb

Punnett squre: (parent 1 at the top and parent 2 on the side.  Since each is Bb, they can either give a B or a b to the offspring):
           B          b
B        BB        Bb

b        Bb         bb

1 child will be BB (homozygous brown), 2 children will be Bb (heterozygous brown), and 1 chidl will be bb (homozygous blue).  Therefore you will have 3 brown-eyed children (1 BB and 2 Bb's) and 1 blue-eyed child (bb).

The ratio of brown to blue will be 3:1
kaspert
Pretty fly for a SciGuy
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1400 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What percentage of nature vs. nurture dictates human intelligence?
Votes: 431