t
m
p
m
topoelpibe21 topoelpibe21
wrote...
Rep: 1 0
11 years ago
I was recently diagnosed with a potential aneurysm on the middle right cerebral artery.  After looking at a few pictures of an MRI from the disc that they gave me, I became curious as to where the right middle cerebral artery was located.  I don't go to a neurology consult for a couple of weeks and Google doesn't seem that helpful. Would this problem be located on MY right side or the side from an onlooker's perspective?  Where would I find this abnormality on an MRI?  Thanks in advance.
Read 286 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
The middle cerebral arteries are two paired arteries that supply blood to the temporal lobes (sides of the brain (hearing, speech, memory), the left and right insulae (motor control, self, some cognition) and, most importantly, the frontal lobes, which are pretty much in charge of all voluntary thought, movement, and action.

The abnormality will be on YOUR right side, but if you have copies of any imaging of your head, it will appear on the LEFT side of the picture. The convention for anatomical pictures and imaging is that the picture will appear as though the patient were facing towards you, so the left side of the picture will show the right side of your head. Depending on whether the MRI you have to look at is T1 weighted or T2 weighted, the color may look different, but what you are trying to find is a blood vessel that looks larger on the right (well, your right, picture left) than the left (your left, picture right).

I could try to describe the location of the MCAs in the head, or to direct you to the approximate level of the arteries, but I don't think that it would be very helpful. If you want to gain a fuller understanding of the anatomy, then you may want to try looking at a textbook - I recommend Duane Haines' Neuroanatomy atlas, which was a staple for my anatomy class.

Honestly, depending on the size of the aneurysm, it can be difficult even for trained radiologists to pick them out. If you want to make sure you have found the proper part of the image, your best bet is to ask your doctor to point it out to you, or for a copy of the picture with the radiologist's indication - these are usually circles or arrows that the radiologist puts right on top of the digital image, so it shouldn't be to difficult to get.

I hope this helps!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  941 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which of the following is the best resource to supplement your studies:
Votes: 292