K
f
j
b
c
rmountel rmountel
wrote...
11 years ago
A light year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one year. An AU is the measure within the solar system equal to the mean distance from Earth to Sun.
Read 555 times
10 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
That depends on wether or not you have hemroids or asteroids, and which hemisphere your in!
wrote...
11 years ago
Ok.... so you just answered your question. You got it right too.
wrote...
11 years ago
You uhhh answered your own question.  A light year is a lot bigger then an AU.  For comparison, light takes just 8 minutes to travel to earth from the sun (and thus travel one AU).
wrote...
11 years ago
So you're asking what the difference is in miles?  That's rather complex for calculators or anything.  (186000 times 31536000) minus astronomical unit distance.
Scientific Notation:
(5.865696 * 10^12) - AU
About 5.86 trillion miles minus the distance of an AU.
I think around 5865603000000 miles, or 5.865603 trillion.  Not very big in proportion.
wrote...
11 years ago
One light year = 6 trillion miles & one AU = 93 million miles so one light year = 64516.129 AU
wrote...
11 years ago
You've got the definitions.  So an AU is about 8.5 light minutes.  Put another way, a light year is about 6 trillion miles, an AU only 93 million.  So a lightyear is almost 700,000 AU.
wrote...
11 years ago
An AU is the distance between the Sun And the Earth...about 94 million miles. A ly is the distance light travels in a year...about 6 trillion miles
wrote...
11 years ago
Another viewpoint is that 1 AU is 500 light seconds, i.e., the distance that light travels in 500 seconds.  This is contrasted with a light year, wherein light travels for 31.6 million seconds, or 63,000 times longer, or farther, however, you want to look at it.
wrote...
11 years ago
You seem to have the answer....though an AU CAN CHANGE....depending on where the Earth is atm.   I believe, not sure, but at close range a AU is about 7 mins  and at furthist distance, about 7.5 mins....totally not sure on that and only thing I'm trying to point out here is an AU can change.
wrote...
11 years ago
"A light year is the distance that light travels in a vacuum in one year. An AU is the measure within the solar system equal to the mean distance from Earth to Sun."

Does the answer look familiar? It's what you wrote and is exactly correct Slight Smile
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1029 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
What's your favorite funny biology word?
Votes: 336

Previous poll results: What's your favorite math subject?