y
t
k
j
jlhowell jlhowell
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
If the blood volume is 4.7L, what is the H+ deficit? I'm not sure what kind of formula to use!??
Read 4436 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Me neither Undecided

I found this, however. Could you reply back and tell me if you'd worked with something like this before?

Similarly, here's another example:

What is the H+ deficit for this patient if you desire the [HCO3-] to be corrected to 35mEq/L?

A. H+ deficit can be calculated by the following equation:

H+ deficit = 0.5 x Wt x ( [HCO3-]measured – [HCO3-] desired )

Therefore in our clinical example the H+ deficit follows:

H+ deficit = 0.5 (70) x (45 – 35)
= 0.5 (70) (10)
= 350 mEq

After having calculated the H+ deficit to correct the severe metabolic alkalosis to a desired [HCO3-] value, you are handed a dilute concentration of HCL. The next question that naturally follows is, HOW MUCH TO GIVE?!

Calculating the Volume of 0.1N HCL to infuse

Our previous patient who suffering from severe life threatening metabolic alkalosis has an ABG that reveals pH 7.59, [HCO3-] of 45 mEq/L. Having calculated the H+ deficit to correct the [HCO3-] from 45 mEq to 35 mEq, our next concern is to determine the volume of dilute HCL to be infused.

The volume of 0.1N HCL to be infused can be calculated by the following equation:

Volume of 0.1N HCL = H+ deficit / 100
In our clinical example, the patient has a H+ deficit of 350 mEq. Therefore the volume of 0.1N HCL to be infused to correct the [HCO3-] from 45 mEq/L to 35 mEq/L is:

Volume of 0.1N HCL = H+ deficit / 100
= 350 mEq / 100
= 3.5 Liters of 0.1N HCL

Rate of Infusion of 0.1N HCL
The rate of infusion of HCL should be less than 0.2 mEq/kg/hr!
Therefore for our 70kg patient:

70 kg x 0.2mEq/ kg/ hr = 14 mEq/hr.
 Attached file 
Thumbnail(s):
You must login or register to gain access to this attachment.
jlhowell Author
wrote...
11 years ago
Bio_man,

I have worked with pH before, but not this specific type of question Confounded Face
wrote...
Educator
11 years ago
Really unsure, every site I'm visiting, it's telling me to use the formula I provided you in the attachment. Your guess, however, is as good as mine when it comes to using it.

My apologies, hopefully someone else can chime in.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  943 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 587