m
p
m
f
princess001 princess001
wrote...
Rep: 3 0
11 years ago
Info: Electroplating is a widely used process. One of the most popular electroplating processes involves the plating of two metals, nickel and chromium, in separate vats. Nickel is plated first because it adheres better to iron, then the object is moved to a second vat where a layer of chromium is plated. Half-reactions occurring in each vat are shown below:

Plating of Nickel : Ni2+(aq) + 2 e- Rightwards Arrow Ni(s)

Plating of Chromium:

Cr2O72-(aq) + 14 H+(aq) + 12 e- -->2 Cr(s) + 7 H2O(l)

Question:         
1. The power supply used in commercial electroplating provides each vat with approximately 1.50 x 103 A of current for 30.0 minutes. In which vat is the greatest mass of metal deposited on a car bumper? Justify your answer by calculating the mass of each metal that would be deposited.

2. To save on production costs, most automobile bumpers are never coated with more than 200g of chromium. Determine how much time a standard bumper should be immersed in a chromium vat.

Help will be appreciated please don't post answer from yahoo answers i saw that one and it has nothing to do with this question. the idea is the same but the questions are different.   
Read 2767 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
11 years ago
Are you talking about this? Smiling Face with Open Mouth and Tightly-closed Eyes

To find the mass of a certain metal that is plated you need to find how many electrons were "consumed", and thus how many atoms of that metal were produced, and thus how many grams of that metal were produced.

To find how many electrons are consumed:

You are supplying 1.50 x 10^3 A for 30.0 minutes. An amp is a Coulomb per second (C/s). So to find the total charge delivered you multiply the amps by the time (in seconds):

(1.50 x 10^3 C/s) x (30.0 minutes) x ( 60 seconds / 1 minute) = 2.7 x 10^6 Coulombs of charge.

Now the charge on one electron is a known number called "the elementary charge". The normal symbol for this is 'e' but to avoid confusion we'll call it Ce (charge of single electron). This value is: 1.60 x 10^-19 Coulombs.

So you can see if we consume 1 electron, we consume 1Ce of charge. If we consume 5 electrons, we consume 5Ce of charge, and so on. So we know how much charge we are consuming (2.7 x 10^6) and we need to find how many Ce this is, to find how many electrons we consume:

(2.7 x 10^6 C) x ( 1 electron / 1.60 x 10^-19 C) = 1.6875 x 10^25 electrons consumed.

From the Nickel equation you can see for every 2 electrons consumed, you get 1 atom of Nickel, so the total number atoms of Nickel produced are:

(1.6875 x 10^25 electrons) x ( 1 Ni(s) / 2e ) = 8.4375 x 10^24 Ni(s)

To find how many grams this is you can either multiply it by the atomic mass of Ni(s), or convert it to moles and multiply that result by the molar mass of Ni(s). I'll do the second method since it is more difficult and better for learning:

(8.4375 x 10^24) x ( 1 mole / 6.02 x 10^23 particles) = 14.015 moles of Ni(s).

The molar mass of Nickel is: 58.71 g / mole, so (14.015 moles) x (58.71 g / mole) = 823 grams of Ni.

Now you do the same thing for Cr, but the only differences are that you consume 12 electrons to produce 2 Cr atoms, and the molar mass of Cr is 52.00 g / mole:

(1.6875 x 10^25 electrons) x (2 Cr / 12 electrons) = 2.8125 x 10^24 Cr(s) atoms
(2.8125 x 10^24) x ( 1 mole / 6.02 x 10^23 particles) = 4.6719 moles of Cr(s)
(4.6719 moles) x (52.00 g / mole) = 243 grams of Cr(s).

I think you're right about it not relating to what you're asking. I think you have to use Faraday's law for a). Faraday law is m = M*I*t((z*F) =  M*Q(z*F) = Q*c

Where:

• M molare mass
  • I = current
  • t = time
  • z amount of electron which go over
  • F = Faraday constant 96487 As
  • c = electrochemical equivalent can be found in a table
Have you attempted the question?
Don't forget to give me a thumbs up!
princess001 Author
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, princess001
Yes i was referring to that answer on yahoo answers. I'm going to attempt this question again using the equation you gave me. Thank you.
Post Merge: 11 years ago

I tried and I don't think I got the right answer. Please help
Post Merge: 11 years ago

everytime i do this question over and over again i get a diff answer
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1078 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 145

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?