s
a
t
i
r
wood1514 wood1514
wrote...
11 years ago
Need Mastering physics solutions to chapter 24. Thanks!
Read 5176 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago Edited: 11 years ago, ileana.castro
When surfactant is added, what happens to the tidal volume and total airflow into the lungs?
Post Merge: 11 years ago

I think I may have the answer to my own question if anyone wanted to know...

Surfactants are substances in the body that will help lower the amount of surface tension. When surface tension is decreased, the lung will be able to expand better and compliance will be increased.  For example if there is a lot of surface tension, the fluid covering the lungs will cause the alveoli to attach to one another and it will be harder for air to get into them because they can't expand. Air not being able to get to the alveoli because of surface tension is a form of resistance according to Ohm's law and will result in less air flow. However, surfactants will allow air flow to increase by breaking up the surface tension on the alveoli. Tidal volume will also be increases and the amount of air inhaled and exhaled for each breath will be greater. This has to do with compliance and the lungs being able to expand for more air to flow in. 
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1204 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741