t
i
r
numhynso numhynso
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
Also, why is carbon so versatile?
Like a list of objects made out of carbon.
Read 253 times
5 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Coal, diamonds, and many living things have Carbon in them.
wrote...
10 years ago
Diamonds and graphite are made from carbon. A lot of organic things are made from carbon. The diamonds and graphite are called allotopes because it has the same element but different intermolecular structure.
wrote...
10 years ago
Diamonds, graphite, and amorphous are the most common examples of carbon. Carbon is so versatile because it has the ability to bond with pretty much anything and create chains...  not  to mention life would not exist without it. Slight Smile
wrote...
10 years ago
All living things have carbon in them.  Graphite and diamonds are made of pure carbon.  Hydrocarbons (gas, oil, etc.)  are all made of carbon chains containing hydrogen as well.

Carbon is so versatile as it has 4 electrons in its valence shell and therefore can form bonds with 4 other electrons.  It can also form single, double or triple bonds with itself.

Industrial diamonds are used in cutting, drilling, and polishing technologies.

Graphite is combined with clays to form the 'lead' used in pencils. It is also used as a lubricant and a pigment.

Graphite is used as an electrode material in batteries and the brushes of electric motors.

Diamond is used for decorative purposes, and as drill bits and other applications making use of its hardness.

Carbon (usually as coke) is used to reduce iron ore into iron.

Carbon is added to iron to make steel.

Carbon is used as a neutron moderator in nuclear reactors.

Carbon fiber, which is mainly used for composite materials, as well as high-temperature gas filtration.

Carbon black is used as a filler in rubber and plastic compounds.

Graphite carbon in a powdered, caked form is used as charcoal for grilling, artwork and other uses.

Activated charcoal is used in medicine (as powder or compounded in tablets or capsules) to absorb toxins, poisons, or gases from the digestive system.

Carbon, due to its non-reactivity with many substances that corrode most materials, is often used as an electrode.

The chemical and structural properties of fullerenes, in the form of carbon nanotubes, have promising potential uses in the nascent field of nanotechnology.

Rotational transitions of various isotopic forms of carbon monoxide (e.g. 12CO, 13CO, and 18CO) are detectable in the submillimeter regime, and are used in the study of newly forming stars in molecular clouds.

Carbon fibre is also used for such things as car hoods and wings as it is extremely light weight.
wrote...
10 years ago
You, me, my bike, my dog....
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1279 People Browsing
Related Images