Top Posters
Since Sunday
g
D
ikim ikim
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
11 years ago
From what I understand, if there is a higher level of potassium ions in the blood, then it would mean they diffuse into the cell, bringing the charge inside the cell to a more positive number. Is this correct? But I also thought the action potential relied on sodium channels opening, so I'm a little bit confused. Some clarification would be deeply appreciated!
Read 402 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
11 years ago
You are sort of right but i don't think you are in the right state of mind. I will make it as simple as I can.

This is what happens in a typical excitable cell action potential. The cell gets stimulated and sodium channels open creating the depolarization (spike). Sodium rushes into the cell (lots of sodium normally outside of cell) creating a positive internal environment. Sodium channels then close to stop sodium influx. We are now at the peak of the spike / most depolarized / most positive part of action potential.

Here is where potassium comes in. To repolarize the cell back to its resting membrane potential potassium channels open and potassium (normally high inside of the cell) leaves. If there are elevated levels of potassium in the blood... less potassium is going to leave the cell. Thus the inside of the cell will remain more positive then it should be. This heightened positive state is closer to the threshold.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1174 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which is the best fuel for late night cramming?
Votes: 146

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?