a
t
i
r
majesticwolf10 majesticwolf10
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
12 years ago
im working on exercise 8 amylase and I need help with ansering questions 10.What do tubes 2, 6, and 7 reveal about pH and amylase activity?
Hint: What variable was changed in the procedure?
Which pH buffer allowed the highest amylase activity?
Which tube indicates that the amylase was not contaminated
with maltose?Which tubes indicate that the deionized water did not contain
contaminating starch or maltose?
If we left out control tubes 3, 4, or 5, what objections could be
raised to the statement: “Amylase digests starch to maltose”?
(Hint: Think about the purity of the chemical solutions.)
Would the amylase present in saliva be active in the stomach?
Explain your answer.
What effect does boiling have on enzyme activity?

can anyone help me? these labs are always very confusing to me and i dont know how to get the information out of the data.
Read 1384 times
1 Reply

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
Activity 1, right?

Tubes 2, 6, and 7 showed the effect of pH on amylase activity. The results of this experiment
indicate that the activity maximum of amylase is at pH 7.0, whereas pH 2.0 and pH 9.0 demonstrated very little activity. In this experiment, pH 7.0 showed the highest level of amylase activity. Tube 3 showed that amylase did not contain maltose contamination. Tubes 3, 4, and 5 showed that water had no starch or maltose contamination. Tube 3 directly showed that water did not have maltose or starch contamination. Tube 4 was a starch control (with the same water) that showed no maltose, and tube 5 was a maltose control (also with water) that showed no starch. If control tubes 3, 4, or 5 were not done, then what is perceived as digestion might really be starch or maltose contamination. Saliva would not be active in the stomach because the stomach pH is too low. Boiling inactivates, or denatures, enzymes.
Biology!
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1061 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which 'study break' activity do you find most distracting?
Votes: 741