a
t
i
r
nini07 nini07
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
A friend just got diagnosed with CHRONIC RENAL FAILURE. LESS THAN 5% OF HIS KIDNEYS ARE WORKING, HE IS ONLY 27 YEARS OLD. he was started on dyalisis two days ago and is reacting good to it.
He went to the ER with severe nausea and vomiting for about a month. this is the only reason he seeked help. and now the dr.s say this is what he has but doesnt look sick at all.
I need any information on the disease and the chance he has to live.
Read 1816 times
10 Replies
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
12 years ago
CHRONIC RENAL FAILURE

Means he's on his last leg, if anything, and his kidneys have already shut down. The only way to ensure survival is to have a kidney transplant from a donor.
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
can he be dieing with no signs and symptoms..... he is the first person I see healthy and with energy after dyalisis.
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
12 years ago
can he be dieing with no signs and symptoms..... he is the first person I see healthy and with energy after dyalisis.

His mood doesn't matter, remember emotions are governed by neurotransmitters, has nothing to do with your physical condition.
wrote...
Valued Member
12 years ago

His mood doesn't matter, remember emotions are governed by neurotransmitters, has nothing to do with your physical condition.

You're right lol my grandfather who had leukemia was absolutely normal until the last 5 hours before his death; in those last 5 hours, he got so weak right before our eyes and died. RIP
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Wow. I did see him this weekend and he looked sick without his dyalisis for 1 day!!! I believe that this happened to him because of excessive cocaine use!
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
Donated
Valued Member
12 years ago
cocaine

Hi NINI, sad to hear that, but doing drugs is never the way. I don't think it's cocaine though because cocaine is sniffed and it affects only the neuron near your brain I think.
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Dr. claims that is what caused it. I didnt think so either. But the DR. told use that where we live the number one problem for renal failure in people less than 40 yrs old is excessive cociane and heroin use. I already suspected because when he went in to the ER he was on cocaine bad. Apparently his kidnyes are shriveled and fully scared!
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
12 years ago
Hi NINI, sad to hear that, but doing drugs is never the way. I don't think it's cocaine though because cocaine is sniffed and it affects only the neuron near your brain I think.

Not true.

Cocaine can cause sudden, overwhelming kidney failure through a process called rhabdomyolysis.

The first reports on the association between cocaine abuse and acute renal failure were on cases with rhabdomyolysis. This is still the most common form of cocaine-induced renal pathology. Cocaine-related rhabdomyolysis has a high mortality. The mechanism of cocaine-associated rhabdomyolysis is unclear, but potentially includes ischaemia due to vasoconstriction, direct toxicity, hyperpyrexia, and increased muscle activity from agitation or seizure. Cocaine-associated rhabdomyolysis shares many features with excited delirium. Compared with victims of fatal acute cocaine toxicity, both victims of rhabdomyolysis and fatal delirium are more likely to be black, male and younger; to have administered cocaine by smoking or injection; and to have experienced excitement, delirium, and hyperthermia; they are also less likely to have had seizures. It is thought that this syndrome is caused by changes in dopamine processing induced by chronic and intense use of cocaine rather than by the acute toxic effects of the drug. Histology shows necrosis of skeletal muscle without specific lesions.
nini07 Author
wrote...
Donated
12 years ago
Biology 101: so what this means is that its possible that cocaine caused his Kidneys to start shutting down? I had NEVER seen 5% function in anyone so young~
HOPE*FAITH*LOVE
wrote...
12 years ago
Biology 101: so what this means is that its possible that cocaine caused his Kidneys to start shutting down? I had NEVER seen 5% function in anyone so young~

Yes, there is definitely a correlation, but the connection with renal failure isn't not well established, other than what I mentioned earlier with the rhabdomyolysis. From what I've seen/read, there are approximately 80mil/year cocaine-related hospitalizations. Here's the biochemistry behind it. We have plasma and liver cholinesterases (enzymes) that produce benzoyl and ethyl methylecgonine when cocaine is in our blood. These are water soluble metabolites excreted in urine. People with life-threatening cocaine toxicity have lower plasma cholinesterase activity than those with non-life threatening toxicity. Cocaine may also enhance renal cortical mRNA expression of tissue inhibitors of metallopreoteinase-2, leading to increased matrix accumulation. Cocaine increases oxidative stress in kidney by reducing the level of glutathione (which is most abundant cell thiol with antioxidant functions). All-in-all, cocaine can in fact cause necrosis to the nephron, specifically the proximal tubule.

Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1360 People Browsing
Related Images