a
t
i
r
r
nite_n_day nite_n_day
wrote...
10 years ago
Ellie’s dad tells her that his fingers used to wrinkle up when he went swimming in Lake
Michigan as a boy. Her mom tells her that never happened when she went swimming at the
ocean in Maine when she was a girl. Explain Why? What would you expect to happen to the
fingers and toes of swimmers in the Great Salt Lake in Utah? Would their skin wrinkle or feel
tight? Explain Why?
Read 543 times
2 Replies
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Lake Michigan is a freshwater lake with lower osmolarity than human tissue (i.e., It is hypotonic to the water in human tissue). Ocean water is close to isotonic with human tissue. Hence, there will be a net movement of water into human tissue from Lake Michigan water but not from ocean water. Great Salt Lake has a high concentration of dissolved particles. Hence, if there is any net movement of water, it will be out of the skin rather than into the skin. There will be no wrinkling or swelling. Skin may feel tight and dry and might crack after leaving the lake.
Biology - The only science where multiplication and division mean the same thing.
nite_n_day Author
wrote...
10 years ago
Thanks, perfect response.
Would you know my name, if I saw you in heaven?

Eric Clapton
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1284 People Browsing
 126 Signed Up Today
Related Images

Your Opinion
Who's your favorite biologist?
Votes: 586