p
n
C
z
nunya30 nunya30
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
My daughter is in Geometry and has started struggling and will go into Algebra 2 next year.  Are there any good websites for tutorials? It's been years I really don't have the skills to teach her.
Read 4821 times
7 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
Algebra is the use of simple equations and variables to solve a problem. Geometry uses these equations and variables and applies then with various theorems to shapes.  Algebra II is more complex equations and can deal with several variables in one problem. Hope that helps.  As far as tutoring see if the school offers it, and if not then you can go to www.algebra.com or try sylvan, i have heard they are good.
wrote...
10 years ago
They are different types of math, some are more complex that others. As you go up in math it tends to get harder.
wrote...
10 years ago
yikes i hate math lol but anyways prealgebra  algerba is the easier level theres no algerba 2 than theres geometry calusus something like that thats the harder levels elgerba is just equations geomerty is ratios formulas etc..
wrote...
10 years ago
Algebra I will be basic problem solving and learning the basics of algebra.

Geometry involves lines, angles, polygons, and circles. Most students run into problems with proofs.

Algebra 2 will be more complex equations. It will build on Algebra I and use some concepts from geometry.

The links below may help. Also, you can check at your local community college. Some students will tutor fellow students and high school students at a nominal charge.
wrote...
10 years ago
I would recommend that she ask her math teacher for recommendations for good tutors.  There are usually retired math teachers or other qualified people that could help.

Depending on her teacher, she may want to take advantage of staying after/before school a certain day a week to get extra help in the subject.

If she did well in Algebra 1, then it's likely that she'll probably do well in Geometry.  The descriptions posted earlier are pretty good descriptions of each of these subjects.  As a high school math teacher, I find that a good predictor of success in Algebra 2 is success in Algebra 1... some kids just do better with algebraic concepts than with geometric concepts (and vice versa is true as well).
wrote...
10 years ago
Algebra is the process by which you can determine the value of an unknown quantity given a certain amount of minimal information.

Geometry is really concerned more with the math connected with shapes.

Algebra II is just more of the same kind of thing in Algebra, except there are additional concepts that you would not encounter in Algebra; such as complex numbers, multiple (simultaneous equations), and so on.
wrote...
10 years ago
Before algebra, the student is primarily working with numbers.

In Algebra they begin thinking of numbers in terms of symbols instead of specific values.

In Geometry the student begins to learn concepts and develop proofs. Values are no longer just numbers, but lengths of line segments or the measure of angles.

Algebra II gets more heavily into functions in preparation for Calculus.

A site that might help...
http://www.mathgoodies.com
I found this site in an attempt to see if there was a site where a kid could go and get information about the area of a parallelogram. I'm certain there are others. Do google searches on the specific topics on which your daughter needs help. I found the "mathgoodies" site by searching (parallelogram area).

Other sources... Local colleges and universities... specifically Math Departments. Explain your problem and where your child is. Ask for not necessarily the best students, but those who can express themselves the best. You may have to pay a few bucks, maybe 10 or 15 an hour, but it will be individual help. Then write a glowing letter to the student thanking him or her for her help, and another to the Math  Department Chair expressing your gratitude for the excellent education they are providing.

There are also students in your child's school who excel in math. Don't offer them money at the outset, but pay them a little, maybe 5 or 10 an hour, and write a glowing letter, send it to their school, and ask that it be placed in their academic record.

The letters may sound a little stupid, I'll tell you, they make a difference when employers or other institutions consider that student.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  960 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Do you believe in global warming?
Votes: 395

Previous poll results: Who's your favorite biologist?