× Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask a question
Top Posters
Since Sunday
ochorios ochorios
wrote...
10 years ago
I was wondering if apes, such as chimpanzees or gorillas, get acne like we do? Smiling Face with Open Mouth and Tightly-closed Eyes
Read 2889 times
4 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Valued Member
On Hiatus
10 years ago
Wait, that's actually a really good question. I'm interested to see what the answer will be Face with Open Mouth
If you are reading this, you are awesome, and I wish you a happy and prosperous day!
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
We get acne because we secrete a lot of oil on our face, which gives bacteria that are oxygen-fearing the opportunity to grow and hide in the oils found inside the skin. It is the sebaceous glands that secrete this oily substance called sebum, which functions as a conditioner for both skin and hair.  Sebaceous glands are similar in all mammals. We have millions of sebaceous glands which exude oil over head, face and torso, and in young adults often causes acne. The chimpanzee's sebaceous glands are described as "vestigial" whereas ours are described as "enormous". Their purpose is obscure. In other animals the only known function of sebum is that of waterproofing the skin or the fur.

Therefore, due to this difference, I'd assume they do not get pimples like we do Wink Face

This should be a blog post
wrote...
Staff Member
10 years ago
This should be a blog post

Will do, but how accurate are your claims? I don't want false or outdated information on the blog - not saying that what is written here is wrong or anything.
- Master of Science in Biology
- Bachelor of Science
wrote...
Valued Member
10 years ago
I formulated that hypothesis by putting together what I know. There could be a better explanation out there, but this is the best I can do.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1291 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Where do you get your textbooks?
Votes: 372