a
t
i
r
leedotcom leedotcom
wrote...
Rep: 0 0
10 years ago
We just started pre-calc in math and the homework assignment for today really puzzled me. I can't remember how to graph cube/absolute value functions.

ex. f(x)= -x^3--1

Do you plug points in? I'm soo confused, Please help!
Read 451 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
10 years ago
We use a method called H. S. R. V. with H = Horizontal , V = Vertical ,  R = Reflection , and V = Vertical movement.

X^3 is a graph that falls to the left and rises to the right.

"  -1  " at the end of X^3 means go down vertical 1 unit. So just shift the graph down 1 unit.
wrote...
10 years ago
Yes, you plug in values of x and plot the result in the graph, then 'join' the values with a (curved) line.
wrote...
10 years ago
Plugging in points always works, but calc will be easier if you know some basic shapes.
What you have here is a cubic function.  The PARENT function of this is y = x^3 which goes through the points (-2,-8)(-1,-1)(0,0)(1,1)(2,8)
Now you should learn that the negative in front of the x^3 turns this upside down and the -1 on the end slides the whole picture down one unit.  Or, you can just pick points.

The shape of a cubic function is like a snake.
An absolute value is shaped like a vee
A square root looks like an angel wing.  

Try something like this study guide from University of Wichita to help you
webs.wichita.edu/facsme/cbl/calculus/tofl.pdf
Once you know the basic shapes, you can make TRANSFORMATIONS on them with the other numbers and signs in the equation.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1332 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which industry do you think artificial intelligence (AI) will impact the most?
Votes: 352