s
a
t
i
r
patsfan22 patsfan22
wrote...
13 years ago
Hey I really need your help again, please give me an explanation for why these are correct. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Which of the following is a reasonable explanation for why unsaturated fatty acids help keep any membrane more fluid at lower temperatures?

A. The double bonds formed a kink in the fatty acid, forcing adjacent lipids to be further apart.

Q. What is true of membrane phospholipids, according to the fluid mosaic model of cell membranes?

A. They can move laterally along the plane membrane.

Read 930 times
2 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Educator
13 years ago Edited: 13 years ago, Biology-Forums.com
Welcome back...

Unsaturated fatty acid means that there is at least one double bond present (i.e. a cis or trans bond). These bonds create somewhat of a gap between the carbons and so they are not as close together as in saturated fatty acids.

The move laterally and not across the membrane because of like-charges. Phospholipids are made up of a charged (polar) head portion and a lipid soluble tail portion. They can move laterally because it doesn't require an input of energy - energy favourable.
patsfan22 Author
wrote...
13 years ago
Thanks dude, what about part 2. you rock 8)
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1355 People Browsing
Related Images

Your Opinion
Which country would you like to visit for its food?
Votes: 204