t
S
m
s
EA EA
wrote...
Rep: 7 0
10 years ago
A hockey player has a "penalty shot" on a goaltender. The goalie moves out to challenge the best player of the opposing team. A shot is directed to the upper right corner of the net. The goalie immediately flips out his blocker and deflects the puck up and over the boards. As the goalie watches the approaching player, his eyes act as receptors for a complex nerve action that results in the deflection of the puck.

Describe the nervous system pathway that enables the goalie to see and deflect the puck.
Read 3273 times
3 Replies

Related Topics

Replies
wrote...
Donated
10 years ago
First, the light reflects off everything surrounding the player, so he forms an image of the whole situation on the retina of the eye. The image moves through the optic nerve (sensory nerve) to the visual centre in the brain. That is the sensory route. Then, when the player decides what direction he wants to move in, the brain and spinal cord send signals through motor nerves to the corresponding skeletal muscles in his arms and legs to react the way he wants. I know it's not detailed, but my references aren't anywhere near me now.  Undecided
EA Author
wrote...
10 years ago
First, the light reflects off everything surrounding the player, so he forms an image of the whole situation on the retina of the eye. The image moves through the optic nerve (sensory nerve) to the visual centre in the brain. That is the sensory route. Then, when the player decides what direction he wants to move in, the brain and spinal cord send signals through motor nerves to the corresponding skeletal muscles in his arms and legs to react the way he wants. I know it's not detailed, but my references aren't anywhere near me now.  Undecided

ok thank you Slight Smile would the sympathetic nervous system kick in or no?
wrote...
Donated
10 years ago
Sympathetic nervous system controls protect the body during extreme stress by redirecting blood to more vital organs. Strong sympathetic stimulation causes release of norepinephrine. Norepinephrine and epinephrine promote an increase in cardiac output and generalized vasoconstriction.
Explore
Post your homework questions and get free online help from our incredible volunteers
  1227 People Browsing
Related Images